Return to Headlines
Information for the 2017-2018 school year at Channing
- School hours are from 8:15-3:00 p.m. Our before school program starts on September 18th, at 7:15 a.m., and ends at 5:00 p.m. The last day of the before and after school program is June 15, 2018. Please email me your interest in the program by September 1, 2017 as enrollment is limited, and we have a long waitlist. The YMCA has a fee-based after school program at the school until 6:00 p.m. as an additional option for you.
- Students in grades 1-5 start school on September 7, 2017. Students in K0, K1 and K2 start on September 11, 2017.
- Channing’s uniform colors are sky blue top and navy blue bottom, and can be purchased at Old Navy, The Children’s Place or L&M.
- The first meet and greet will be on August 31, from 1:00 until 3:00 p.m., at Channing, in room 102 with teachers and support staff.
- Channing’s annual cookout will be on Saturday, September 23, 2017 from 12:00-3:00.
- On half days (11/22/2017, and the last two days of school) we will end at 1:00 p.m. Both breakfast and lunch will be provided. We follow the BPS calendar regarding school delays or closures in inclement weather.
Please find additional information below to consider as part of your long-term planning and partnership with us:
- Please consider completing and returning a signed “CORI form” which will be sent home with your child. A cleared CORI will legally allow us to ask you to volunteer in classrooms, and join us in field trips or in the many exciting events that the School Site Council and the Parent Council will promote and lead.
- Elections for School Site Council and School Parent Council for the 2017-2018 school year will be in early October. An invitation will be sent home.
- We have a licensed psychologist partner from Ashmont Counseling who provides individual counseling to students during school hours, and family counseling at her office in Boston in the evening and on weekends.
- Please complete, sign and return all forms that children will bring home, including emergency forms, and forms from the nurse. Please note that children will be released strictly to individuals whose names we have on file approved by parents or legal guardians—without exceptions.
- Children will have homework every night, including 30 minutes of Lexia reading. We also ask that they read to you or that you read to them for at least 30 minutes every night. Engage children in lots of conversations about what they are reading or learning about, and why. If your child was enrolled at Channing last year, he/she already has a Lexia login and password, and can still access the online reading skills, contents and strategies until August 31, 2017. Lexia will continue for all students in the fall.