- Winship Elementary School
- Winship Elementary School
The Winship Welcomes a New Principal
July 22, 2020
Dear Winship Students and Families,
I hope this message finds you well and that you are enjoying a safe and restful summer! My name is Brian Radley and I am honored to have been named the next Principal of the wonderful Winship School!
This past Wednesday was my first official day at the Winship School. I just recently wrapped up my responsibilities in Chelsea, where I was an Assistant Principal. I wanted to share how excited, inspired, and humbled I am to begin working with you and your amazing children. I love the Winship School! I had the privilege of working with Mrs. Ford Walker as the Principal Intern in 2019. During that time, I came to love the many people, qualities, and experiences that make the Winship so special. And, I’m eager to keep learning about the community!
As I enter the Winship community—and prepare for an unconventional start to school—I want to share some thoughts that I am keeping at the front of my mind:
- I am holding fast to the Winship's incredible diversity and our shared promise to cultivate belonging and excellence for everyone in our community. I believe deeply in this commitment to equity; it drives my daily work and I know that our community shares my conviction.
- I am inspired by, and bound to, the strength of our students’ voices—which need to be listened to, celebrated, and elevated now more than ever. My visits to publishing parties, morning meetings, classroom discussions—and my breakfast and lunch conversations with your brilliant children—are some of my fondest memories at the Winship School because our students’ insight and individuality shined. I look forward to working with you and our staff to continue finding ways to center and celebrate our students’ voices and perspectives, particularly in these challenging and uncertain times.
- I am proud and humbled to be joining a talented team of teachers, staff, and families (that’s you!) that share a sense of collective responsibility for the success and growth of all our students, particularly our most vulnerable. I am eager to learn more from you, about you, and of the experiences and perspectives you bring to the Winship community.
As I transition back into the Winship community, I am looking forward to reconnecting with, listening to, and learning from our students, families, and staff as we shape our shared vision for how to build upon our successes and continue to grow and improve.
In the weeks ahead I will offer a variety of ways that I can meet you, learn more about you, and listen to your hopes for our school and for me. I also hope these opportunities will help you get to know me a little better. The first two options are:
1. “Introductory Zoom Meetings with Mr. Radley”—Optional, small group Zoom meetings; (these meetings are temporarily discontinued, please check back later for more dates)
2. “Popsicles with the Principal” in the Winship Schoolyard—Optional, outdoor, socially-distanced visits; masks required; limit 8 of families per visit;(these visits are temporarily discontinued, please check back later for more dates)
Throughout the summer, I will also be working closely with our central office partners, staff, and each of you to plan for a safe and supportive start to school. I know this is a topic on all of our minds. I look forward to sharing updates as they become available, and hearing your questions and suggestions. I will circle back with specific opportunities to review and discuss our opening plans in August once city and district guidance is released.
Again, I couldn’t be more hopeful and excited to get started! I’m looking forward to getting to know you better!
Please don’t hesitate to reach out to me if there’s anything you need or if you have any questions. You can reach me at email@example.com or 617-971-8524.
All my best,