Ellis Elementary School
The Ellis School staff create an environment that fosters student learning and values the whole child. Parent involvement is a strong part of our school culture. We work towards building a home-school connection to strength each student's elementary school experience.
We are also implementing the Leader in Me program — a process for school-wide transformation that has enhanced all student’s life skills and workforce readiness while creating a safe and vibrant learning community.
Teachers are highly trained in teaching reading, writing, and mathematics. We offer an exploratory science lab with a certified science instructor. We have a computer lab with a full-time instructor. Our school also offers physical education classes. We have a state of the art library with a full-time librarian.We enhance student learning through interactive field trips.
- Shares its grounds with the African American Museum, providing opportunities to enrich our history and social studies curriculum
- Technology Lab
- Exploratory science lab with certified science instructor, plus hands-on science experiences
- A strong partnership with Higher Ground Inc.
- Guaranteed assignment to grade 6 at the Dearborn STEM Academy (science/technology/engineering/math) for grades 6-12.
Special academic programs
- Sheltered English Immersion (SEI) for students in K1-grade 5 (Spanish)
- Special education program, K1-grade 5: emotional impairment
- K0/K1 integrated classroom, where children with and without disabilities learn together
- Americas SCORES soccer, Bird Street Community Center, Higher Ground Boston, Generation Inc., City Sprouts, National Center of African American Artist
Before and after school programs in our building
- Before school, 7:00 - 9:15 a.m.: Boston's Bridge to Excellence.
- After school, 4:00 - 6:00 p.m.: Boston's Bridge to Excellence, for K1-grade 5 students. Enrichment activities, homework time, chess, physical activities, and art. Sliding fee scale.
302 Walnut Avenue
Roxbury, MA 02119
9:30 a.m. - 4:10 p.m.
Early Dismissal, the day before Thanksgiving and last two days of school: 2:10 p.m.
School Type: Traditional