Library Learning Goals for Second GradeLibrary Rules and Procedures
- I can follow all library rules.
- I can ask the librarian for help in finding a good book.
Understanding Multimedia Texts (Both Stories and Informational)
- I can show responsibility in caring for and borrowing library books.
- I can listen actively to texts.
- I can read independently for pleasure and information.
- I can show that I understand a text by asking questions about it, discussing it with classmates, and writing responses to it.
- I can appreciate the diversity of people (culture, race, ethnicity) in literature and locate a diversity of books in the library.
- I can identify major book awards and how to find award-winners in the library.
- I can ask questions that require information-seeking.
- I can understand how the library is organized and how to find books with information I need.
- I can use library databases to find information I need.
- I can identify the parts of a book, such as the title page and table of contents.
- I can evaluate information sources for their ability to answer my research questions.
- I can record only the information I need to answer my research questions.
- I can use information in an ethical way (by citing my information sources).
- I can gather my research into a report, presenting it to other people.
- I can respect and listen to ideas and information shared by other students.
- I can help my classmates in selecting library books.
- I can be responsible in caring for and properly using library computers.
- I can use tools in painting and/or drawing programs.
*All of the above learning goals are met while using timely multimedia texts (print books, e-books, video, audio), Smartboard activities, and online activities that relate to students' classroom learning topics. Ms. Ordonez, Ms. DeBari, and I collaborate closely in bringing all the print and technology resources of the library to bear on students' learning in English Language Arts, Math, Science, and Social Studies. For more information and resources about online reading, e-books, and the Winship Library Catalog, go to the Winship Library website.*For more information on learning standards addressed in Library class, see the two major documents: Massachusetts Technology Literacy Standards and Expectations and Recommended Standards for PreK-12 Information Literacy Skills (Massachusetts School Library Association).
- I can use technology, such as the tools in Google Drive, to communicate and exchange information.