Goals & Action Plans
Each educator sets at least two goals for the year, asking: 1) Where do my students need to grow this year? and 2) Where do I need to grow to help them get there? These two goals—and the four standards in the Rubric of Effective Teaching—are the measures against which educators are evaluated. After educators write goals, they develop a plan that outlines the course of action they will take to attain the goals. This action plan serves as an opportunity to determine the time, resources, and specific steps necessary to accomplish each goal.
Goals Resources:Resources for writing strong goals and action plans
- Use templates to write SMART goals.
- Consider these guiding questions as you write your goals.
- View a bank of goals written by BPS educators.
- Use a worksheet to create your action plan.
- View sample action plans.
- Exemplar SMART goals from DESE
Resources for supporting strong goal-writing across the school
- View an example of goal alignment at a BPS elementary school.
- View sample school-wide goals.
- View an example of how a schoolwide focus area can inform team goals
- Goal and Action Plan Revision Guidance
- Supporting SMART goals with Assessment Data
- Supporting SMART goals with Family and Student Engagement