#IAM Day of Service
ASL Interpretation Available
REGISTRATION: 9:00 – 9:30 I EVENT: 9:30 – 2:30 I Light Breakfast & Lunch Served
AGENDA: Opening I Panel #1 I Panel #2 I Keynote I Lunch I Workshop I Follow-up
OPENING: Alexandra Buckmire, Head of School, Boston Renaissance Charter School
- Alejandra St. Guillen, Director of Immigrant Advancement, City of Boston
- Diane Randolph, Director for Community Building, MA Office for Refugees and Immigrants
- Dr. Tommy Chang, Superintendent of Boston Public Schools
- Dr. Atyia Martin, Chief Resilience Officer, City of Boston
- Kathy Lopes, Assistant Commissioner, MA Department of Children and Families
- Jessica Tang, Director of Organizing, Boston Teachers Union
- Rahsaan Hall, Director of the Racial Justice Program, American Civil Liberties Union
- Shannah Varon, Chair, Boston Charter Alliance
- Daren Graves, Associate Professor, Simmons College
- Dr. Monica O'Neal, Clinical Psychologist
- Dr. Frances Esparza, Assistant Superintendent for ELLs of Boston Public Schools
ATTENDEES: Open to public, charter and parochial educators, school leaders and district staff, social workers, community organization staff, police officers, mentorship staff and other community members.
PURPOSE: The first series of #IAM events will bring together a collective body of diverse sectors to join efforts, stand up against injustice and resist the ideas of any bigotry stemming from homophobia, racism, xenophobia and islamophobia particularly affecting specific groups of students in and out of schools. We aim to engage all participants in relationship building, cross-cultural communication, sharing of resources, accessibility for English Learners and Students with Disabilities and creating a coalition to develop actionable steps to support all students. The #IAM Day of Service event on MLK Day will feature leaders and experts who will lead panels addressing: 1) Impact and response to trauma and harassment in and out of schools 2) The role of identity in the era of negative political discourse. Follow-up sessions will feature collaborative efforts from leaders, educators, social workers, community organization staff, youth, families and other community members on how to best support and act on behalf of specific students as a community.
Boston Renaissance Charter School
1415 Hyde Park Avenue
Hyde Park, MA 02136The zipcode must be numeric with at least five numbers.