Winthrop Elementary School
The Winthrop Elementary School is truly a gem in the Dorchester/Roxbury neighborhood. We strive to have positive home-school relationships with every Winthrop family and have staff dedicated to see our students succeed.We have tremendous community support from area universities, community organizations, non-profits, and corporations. These partnerships give us the resources and additional supports to go the extra mile for our students.We offer strong mentoring groups for our upper elementary level boys and girls. All grade levels, including our Advanced Work Class, model extraordinarily high expectations and high achievement, ensuring consistent academic progress for every student. Our families are also our partners. Together, we can assure that every child is well-prepared for the future after his/her time at the Winthrop School.
What makes our school special:
* K-12 Pathway: Winthrop 5th graders are guaranteed assignment to grade 6 at the Dearborn STEAM Academy (science/technology/engineering/math) school for grades 6-12
- “College-bound” culture
- Outstanding faculty dedicated to student achievement
- Before school tutoring
- After school tutoring and enrichment clubs, inlcuding martial arts, dance, art,and science
- Open Circle social competency curriculum
- Strong partnership with Boston College and membership in five-college STEP UP program
- Incredible partnerships
- Many activities to engage parents, including curriculum nights, weekend family field trips, classroom and school-wide newsletters, take-home math games, and take-home videos of lessons
- A part-time counselor who works with individuals and small groups of students
- School facilities: auditorium, playground, cafeteria, gymnasium and outdoor garden
Special academic programsAdvanced Work Classes for eligible students in grades 4 and 5
- Campus Kitchens, Dimock Health Center, Girl Scouts, Natixis Global Asset Management, Reebok BOKS Kids fitness, Harvard Stage, Strong Women Strong Girls, The Food Project, YMCA
Before and after school programs in our building
- Before school, 7:15-8:10 am daily: programming through our partnership with the YMCA for a minimal fee.
- After school, to 6:00 pm daily: programming run by YMCA offering homework help and enrichment activities; sliding fee scale; vouchers accepted.
- Additional after school enrichment courses are also offered which provide direct tutoring support from teachers.
Leah Blake McKetty
35 Brookford Street
Dorchester, MA 02125
2017-2018 School Year Hours
8:30 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Early Dismissal, the day before Thanksgiving and last two days of school: 1:00 p.m.
School Type: Regular