West Zone Early Learning Center
The ELC-West is a warm, nurturing, yet rigorous early education community that promotes developmentally appropriate practices and high standards for all students. All classes are taught by early childhood certified educators and staffed with highly trained paraprofessionals (Co-Educators) for support. We also offer integrated early childhood classrooms for students with disabilities as well as provide ESL services.
The ELC-West implements developmentally appropriate literacy and math instruction using programs such as Our World of Learning (OWL) and Building Blocks, Focus on K2, Investigations Math, Guided Reading, and Focus on First curricula.
Our program is aligned with Common Core and state standards. The school is fully accredited by the National Association for the Education of Young Children and has since maintained that accreditation.
- A small-school family atmosphere
- Leveled Literacy Intervention (LLI) small group cycles
- Environmental science teacher and curriculum aligned with STEAM (science, technology, engineering, math)
- Highly qualified paraprofessionals who meet NAEYC qualifications
- Science, dance, and physical education, as well and creative dramatic arts with our partner Open Door Arts
- Frequent visits to community resources and museums, providing opportunities to learn and make connections to curriculum outside of the classroom and engage in hands-on learning experiences
- ESL certified teachers
- Multilingual staff to meet the needs of our community
- BOKS exercise program for all students by our BOKS-trained staff
- Social and Emotional practices for all include Inner Explorer and Trauma-informed practices via the Pyramid Model
- Home for Little Wanderers Partner providing individual/group counseling
- Community field coordinator
- Surround care with drumming and music and movement as well as visits to the Connolly Branch Library and other various neighborhood
- Teachers trained in Reading Recovery and F & P Guided Reading Protocols
- All teachers have multiple certifications
Special academic programs:
- Special Education: integrated Early Childhood classrooms
- Inclusion school: students in general education and special education learn together
Before and after school programs in our building:
- Before school: Children begin the day at 7:30 with breakfast, followed by center activities and small group time until the start of the formal school day, 8:30-2:30.
- After school: Free surround care until 4:35 pm with enrichment activities, including drumming and music and movement, yoga, STEAM activities, and trips to the local library and community resources.
200 Heath Street
Jamaica Plain, MA 02130
7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Early Dismissal, the day before Thanksgiving and last two days of school: 12:00 p.m.
Level: Early Childhood
School Type: Regular