Charles Sumner Elementary School
The Sumner Elementary School is committed to developing and nurturing each child’s talents and abilities in a safe and academically challenging environment. Our solid academic program focuses on building a strong school climate with efforts to celebrate all levels of academic and behavioral accomplishments.
We are a full-service school emphasizing the arts and school-based services. We offer services and programs such as tutoring, band, and strategic interventions through Response to Intervention, etc.
The Sumner faculty goes above and beyond to ensure each and every child receives the academic and support services he or she needs to succeed.Special Features:
K-8 Pathway:Special academic programs:
- Strong focus on differentiating instruction
- Science, physical education, computers, arts
- Partner for Student Success school, extending teaching and learning beyond the school day
- Response to Intervention through the Academic Achievement Framework
- Tutoring for students who need extra help
- Many opportunities for family involvement
- Diverse community
- Healthy School program with a focus on teaching children healthy choices
- Located in the heart of Roslindale, just off Roslindale Square
- Guaranteed assignment to the Irving Middle School
- Special Education classes, grades 1-5
- Inclusion classes in K2-grade 2 — and expanding!
- Sheltered English Instruction (SEI) for English language learners
- Boys and Girls’ Club, Boston Children’s Hospital, Home for Little Wanderers, Playworks, Berklee College of Music, Brimmer and May School, MusiConnects, Roslindale Community Center, Project ALERTA, America SCORES soccer
- Before school: literacy and math activities for K1-grade 5; sliding scale fee and financial aid available.
- After school, grades 1-5: provided by the Boys and Girls Clubs of Boston; homework help, enrichment activities and recreation centered around literacy, math and technology, and developing leadership skills
- After school, K1 and K2: program focused on academic support, enrichment activities and recreation
Principal: Catherine MacCuish
15 Basile Street
Roslindale, MA 02131
9:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m.
Early Dismissal, day before Thanksgiving and last two days of school: 1:30 p.m.
School Type: Traditional