Russell Elementary School
At the Russell, our guiding principles are “learning, collaboration and results.” The Russell is one of just three Boston elementary schools working with EdVestors, a nonprofit school improvement organization, to drive student success. Together we are improving the quality of teaching and tailoring our lesson plans to meet the needs of every child.
We are proud to feature literacy support programs, full day K1 early childhood programs, full-time instructors in science, computers, the arts and physical education, and we have state-of-the-art computer labs available for student use. We also believe in family and parent engagement and offer workshops co-facilitated by teachers and the community members for our families.
Also at the Russell, our students participate in Discovering Justice, which teaches students about civic responsibility and the power of their own voice.
We hope you will visit our school and see our new outdoor learning center and schoolyard!
- Strong partnership with City Mission and Citizens Bank to provide resources for the students and families like our school coat drive
- Students partake in project based learning around nature and sustainability in our two green space, our outdoor classroom and community garden
- Partnership with the Kraft Foundation and Fuel Up to Play 60 provide students leadership opportunities in the context of health and wellness
- Students participate in destination learning experiences to sites like Hale Reservation, Harbor Islands, Museum of Science, Wakefield Estate, Plymouth Plantation and the Aquarium
- The Russell received the distinguished honor of being named a bronze level school with the Alliance for a Healthier Generations Healthy School Program
- Diverse learning experiences including physical education, science, art, library and music
- Cross-disciplinary learning activities and projects through specialist teachers
- Technology in the classroom: Smart boards, Ipads, computers, flip cameras, and a grant from Adobe Youth Voices
- Student leadership development through programs like the Student Wellness Council, 10 Boys Initiative, and Junior Coaches Program
- Community partners who support student growth during the day, before and after school
- Strong collaboration between retired administration and the current staff to maintain consistency in student education and family support.
- Guaranteed assignment to McCormack Middle School
Special academic programs:
- AVID college readiness program
Before and after school programs in our building:
- Before school: Reebok BOKS fitness
- After school: Girls LEAP empowerment program for girls in grades 4-5; Russell Runs track and field program for K-grade 5; robotics for grades 3-5; Girls in Science for girls in grades 4-5 to encourage early interest in science and engineering; Tech Goes Home training for families on the use of technology for educations
750 Columbia Road
Dorchester, MA 02125
8:30 a.m. - 3:10 p.m.
Early Dismissal, the day before Thanksgiving and last two days of school: 1:10 p.m.
School Type: Regular