Philbrick Elementary School
The John D. Philbrick School is one of Boston’s smallest public schools. The size of the school enables teachers to provide personal attention to all children and establish an environment that is both intimate and nurturing. We believe that our students will learn if provided with a rigorous and well-rounded educational experience. To reach this end, we use a workshop approach to reading, writing, and mathematics instruction; we provide specialty classes in science, music, physical education, and art; and we establish extensive business, community, and family partnerships.
Our nurturing community strives to create dynamic learning experiences that challenge, engage and motivate our students to become lifelong learners. We value a strong work ethic and a healthy sense of self, balanced with a clear respect for the rights and differences of others. Immersed in this educational environment, our students will become critical thinkers who are responsible, resilient and productive community leaders.
- Level 1 school with a focus on student achievement for all
- Core values: respect, hard work and kindness
- Wireless laptop and iPad access for students
- Monthly school community award assemblies
- Making Music Matters, small group instrumental lessons in grades 4-5
- Recently renovated schoolyard and playground
- Annual camping trip for grade 5 students, with science focus
- Monthly curriculum-based Family Nights
- Science and literacy grant
- Parent Workshops
- Guaranteed assignment to the Irving Middle School
Special academic programs:
- Two mixed-grade special education classrooms: integrated Early Childhood for K0/K1 and Primary Transition for K2/grade 1.
- Boston Nature Center, Eliot School of Fine & Applied Arts, Making Music Matters, Boston Teacher Residency Program, Home for Little Wanderers, Boston Institute for Psychotherapy, Temple Aliyah Literacy Tutors, Ferry Beach Ecology School, FIS Global
Before and after school programs in our building:
- Before school, 8:00-9:15 am: run by a Philbrick staff member; $35 per week; includes BOKS fitness three days a week.
- After school: structured program run by Philbrick parents, five days a week; sliding fee scale. Also: enrichment activities such as cooking, arts and crafts, Mandarin lessons, and more at additional costs on a sliding scale.
40 Philbrick Street
Roslindale, MA 02131
9:30 a.m. - 4:10 p.m.
Early Dismissal, the day before Thanksgiving and last two days of school: 2:10 p.m.
School Type: Regular