Mather Elementary School
Established in 1639, the Mather is America's first public elementary school in North America. In October 2014, we celebrated our 375th birthday! Our mission is "Educating and empowering all children to reach their potential through academic and socially enriching experiences." All students recite the Mather School Pledge each morning, sometimes in Vietnamese, Cape Verdean or Spanish, to celebrate the cultures of our students.
In 2009, the Mather was awarded a complete library renovation through Target and Heart of America. In 2010, the Boston Schoolyard Initiative grant came to completion resulting in a beautiful outdoor classroom and a complete schoolyard renovation. In 2013, City Sprouts joined the Mather and created a full edible garden where our children learn about nutrition. Over the past several year, the Mather has seen its enrollment increase by over 100 students, which is a testament to the amazing community our staff and families have created.
- The oldest public elementary school in America, established in 1639
- Two outdoor classrooms and three playgrounds
- BOKS before school athletic program
- Out of School (OST) programs: 3 Point Foundation Basketball, America SCORES soccer, Boston City Singers, BRYE, Brookline Literacy, Mather Music Ensemble, Boy/Cub Scouts, City Sprouts, Girl Scouts, Saturday Academy, Viet-Aid, Sportsmens Tennis, DARE Dance, Dance with Books
- Weekly adult volunteers in the classrooms
- Achievement Network School, Literacy Collaborative
- Active School Site Council and School Parent Council
- Nutrition programs through Northeastern University for primary grades and UMass Boston for upper grades
- Located on historic Meeting House Hill, next to a fire station and two churches
- Guaranteed assignment to the Lilla G. Frederick Pilot Middle School
Special academic programs
- Vietnamese Sheltered English Instruction (SEI) program for K1-grade 5
- Full Learning Disabled (LD) strand for students in grades 1-5
- Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts, BalletRox, The Achievement Network, Brookline Literacy Partnership, City Sprouts, America SCORES, “e” inc., Target, Lesley University Literacy Collaborative, Wheelock College Teach Boston
Before and after school programs in our building
- Before school, 7:30-9:00: $35 a week. Discounts apply for families who cannot afford the full fee, and vouchers can be considered. Activities include homework support, arts and crafts and physical education. Additionally, there is a free fitness program (BOKS) for students in grades 1-5 on Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays from 8:00-9:00.
- After school, 3:30-5:30: Regular after school program for $40 a week with homework support and enrichment opportunities such as hip-hop and martial arts.
- Free programs: BELL tutoring program, November -April; Winsor School tutoring on Wednesdays; Brookline Literacy Partnership on Tuesdays; Cub Scouts and Music Ensemble on Fridays; and America SCORES Boston soccer and literacy, or students in grades 3-5.
Contact the Mather
Assistant PrincipalKaryn Stranberg
24 Parish Street
Dorchester, MA 02122
School Hours9:25 am - 4:10 pm
School Type: Traditional