Mason Elementary School
Children are the heart and soul of the Mason School. The mission of the Mason School is to provide a comprehensive and rigorous full inclusion academic program supported by committed staff, student interns, devoted parents, and a strong community working collaboratively and learning together.Teachers are dual certified and have had professional development related to SPED, ESL instruction and the content areas. The Mason promotes teacher leaders who assume various leadership roles and serve as mentors to student interns. Several teacher leaders have conducted workshops and trainings for various BPS departments.
- Full integration of students with disabilities and regular education students
- Highly qualified staff (dual certified in regular and special education) and mentor lead teachers
- Full time parent coordinator that coordinates family and fundraising events.
- Kindergartens accredited by National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC)
- Partners with City Connects to meet the social, emotional, and academic needs of students.
- Art, music, dance, physical education, technology and swim instruction (grades1-5) offered.
- Extended science learning through the Boston Nature Center, Food Project, and Ferry Beach.
- Boston University, Northeastern University and Wheelock College provide interns and tutors.
- Read Boston grant that provides free books and literacy events for all students
- Looping in grades K2/ 1 (children have the same teacher for two years), plus grades 2/ 3 and 4/5 classrooms
- Reading Recovery, a research based literacy intervention for struggling first graders.
- Guaranteed assignment to grade 6 at Dearborn STEM Academy for grades 6-12.
Special academic programs
- Special Education: two inclusion classrooms per grade from K0/K1 (ages 3 and 4)–Grade 5.
- Boston Ballet, Boston Nature Center, Boston University, Center for Collaborative Education, City Connects, Community Music Center, Newmarket Business Association, Northeastern University, Wheelock College, and YMCA of Greater Boston
Before and after school programs in our building
- Before school, 7:30-8:10 am: for K-grade 5, $45 per month
- After school, 2:30-6:00 pm: run by YMCA for K2-grade 5, sliding fee scale
150 Norfolk Avenue
Roxbury, MA 02119Phone: 617-635-8405Fax: 617-635-84062017-2018 School Year Hours8:30 am - 2:30 pm
Early Dismissal, the day before Thanksgiving and last two days of school: 12:30 p.m.
School Type: Pilot