Joseph P. Manning Elementary
The JP Manning School is located in the neighborhood of Jamaica Plain in Boston. Our school is composed of grades K0-K1 to 6th and can support up to 168 students. We have one classroom per grade level and a paraprofessional supporting teaching and learning in every classroom. In grades K0-K1 through 1st, we have one teacher and one paraprofessional and in grades 2nd, 3rd + 4th, we have two co-teachers and a para. In grades 5th + 6th, we have two co-teachers and a shared para among the two upper grades.
Our school has an integrated school-wide approach in which we work to create the conditions for every child to actualize their best self. This approach encompasses differentiated instruction based on diverse learning needs and embedded SEL practices, uplifting students’ funds of knowledge and multi-sensory learning in every classroom setting.
Our instructional focus is: All educators across all academic disciplines, through high quality instructional moves (HQIM), will provide unfettered access to complex, grade-level, culturally-affirming texts and tasks and students will have opportunities to read, discuss, and/or write from such texts/tasks.
Who we are:
I am someone special and smart, with kindness and love in my heart. I pledge to work hard, every day, so I can proudly say, I am the best at what I do, I can even teach you.
- Daily whole-school morning pledges and “Turtle Award” celebrations.
- Explicit Social Emotional Learning instruction in all grades, incorporating CASEL SEL competencies.
- Specialists include: art, science, music, gym, mindfulness & movement, and library.
- A clinical coordinator, social worker, and school psychologist provide individual and group counseling and support.
- Occupational therapist, speech language therapist, and physical therapist provide services on site.
- Chromebooks available for students in every classroom.
- Active parent participation as volunteers, fundraisers, and members of the School Parent and School Site Councils.
- Caregiver-run enrichment activities after school such as: math club, Spanish club.
- Robust calendar of after-school events; in past years, such events included: Back to School BBQ, Dance-a-thon, STEM night, Craft night.
- A fusion of art and music culminating in our Winter Sing and Spring Sing performances in school featuring student talents.
YMCA of Greater Boston before and after school programs:
Our school partners with the YMCA of Greater Boston to provide on-site before and after school care. Before School starts at 7:30 am, After School ends at 6:00pm (regular school hours are 9:30 am-4:10 pm). For more information, go to https://ymcaboston.org/parkway/
130 Louder’s Lane
Jamaica Plain, MA 02130Phone: 617-635-8102Fax: 617-635-9348School Hours9:30 am - 4:10 pm
Early Dismissal, the day before Thanksgiving and last two days of school: 1:40 p.m.
School Type: Regular