King K-8 School
The Martin Luther King, Jr. K-8 School exemplifies the true meaning of Dr. King’s dream. Students are not judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character. We celebrate and teach a different character trait each month to help build students’ self-esteem. To achieve academic success, we must first teach responsibility and productivity. Students are taught to serve the school and the community for the common good.
What makes our school special
- Academically rigorous classwork and a focus on serving the individual learning needs of students to increase academic achievement
- Lead by our core values of perseverance, responsibility, integrity, discovery and empathy, we encourage students to take P.R.I.D.E. in themselves and their community
- The King is an emerging Community School which offers support and wrap-around services for students, their families and the community at large
- Monthly Resource Fairs the first Friday of every month invite families to have their needs met all in one place (groceries, casework, financial check-ups, clothing, and more)
- Bright and colorful murals painted by our partners at City Year make our front pathway, auditorium, library, computer lab, and cafeteria welcoming to our students and their families
- Before and after-school programs are available to engage students in the school community beyond the bell
- Classes in computers, visual arts, dance, performing arts, and physical education
Special academic programs
- ABA classrooms for K0-1st grade students
- Inclusion classrooms K2-5th grade
- NAEYC Accredited early childhood programs
- Generations Inc. offers literacy support for 1st-3rd grade students
- City Year Corps Members offer tutoring in math and literacy for 3rd-8th grade students
After school programs in our building
- Boston Scores Soccer
- Boks (Before School)
- Double Dutch
- Strong Women, Strong Girls
- YMCA After-School
- Imajine That
- 3 Point Basketball and Dance
- Robotics Club
- Adventure Club
- And more!
77 Lawrence Ave.
Dorchester, MA 02121
8:30am - 3pm
Early Dismissal, the day before Thanksgiving and last two days of school: 1:10 p.m.