Martin Luther King, Jr. Elementary School
The Martin Luther King, Jr. Elementary School exemplifies the true meaning of Dr. King’s dream. Students are not judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character. We celebrate and teach a different character trait each month to help build students’ self-esteem. To achieve academic success, we must first teach responsibility and productivity. Students are taught to serve the school and the community for the common good. The Martin Luther King, Jr. Elementary School is a Boston Community Hub School.
What makes our school special
- Academically rigorous classwork and a focus on serving the individual learning needs of students to increase academic achievement
- Lead by our core values of perseverance, responsibility, integrity, discovery and empathy, we encourage students to take P.R.I.D.E. in themselves and their community
- The King is an emerging Community School which offers support and wrap-around services for students, their families and the community at large
- Monthly Resource Fairs the first Friday of every month invite families to have their needs met all in one place (groceries, casework, financial check-ups, clothing, and more)
- Bright and colorful murals painted by our partners at City Year make our front pathway, auditorium, library, computer lab, and cafeteria welcoming to our students and their families
- Before and after-school programs are available to engage students in the school community beyond the bell
- Classes in computers, visual arts, dance, performing arts, and physical education
Special academic programs
- ABA classrooms for K0-1st grade students
- Inclusion classrooms K2-5th grade
- NAEYC Accredited early childhood programs
- Generations Inc. offers literacy support for 1st-3rd grade students
- City Year Corps Members offer tutoring in math and literacy for 3rd-8th grade students
After school programs in our building
- Boston Scores Soccer
- Boks (Before School)
- Double Dutch
- Strong Women, Strong Girls
- YMCA After-School
- Imajine That
- 3 Point Basketball and Dance
- Robotics Club
- Adventure Club
- And more!
77 Lawrence Ave.
Dorchester, MA 02121
8:30am - 3:10pm
Early Dismissal, the day before Thanksgiving and last two days of school: 12:40 p.m.
School Type: Primary