Holmes Elementary School
The Holmes School is an inclusion school. At the Holmes, our mission is to ensure that every child’s individual academic and social needs are met through a rich, rigorous, and multi-sensory education. We believe that every child has the ability to reach his or her highest academic and social potential.
We aim to create responsible citizens who will push against the status quo and be agents of social change. At the Holmes, we value relationships with our parents, community, and students. We aspire to provide a 21st century education to all students in our inclusion setting.
The building is bright and cheerful, with a library/media center, science laboratory, playground, auditorium/gym, and cafeteria. Our performing arts program, which includes music, band and chorus, encourages our students to explore their different talents.
Each student participates in structured intervention blocks three times a week, which focuses on skill based instruction. Students receive additional academic support through tutoring through a partnership with the Federal Reserve Bank. We also have the Achieve before and after school program, which provides enrichment and instructional support.
- 21st century model inclusion school that fully includes students with disabilities in inclusion classes
- Small class size of 15 students in K0-K1 and 20 students in K2-grade 5 in inclusion classrooms
- Strong music program, with band and chorus, and a grant from VH1 “Save the Music”
- Countdown to Kindergarten parent-child playgroup
- Grant from ASTOS to support creative activities for students with and without disabilities
- Volunteers from Federal Reserve Bank and Milton Academy
- Open Circle social competency program
- Achieve before and after school enrichment program
- Children Discovering Justice
- Achievement Network
- Guaranteed assignment to the Frederick Middle School.
Special academic programs
- Special Education: full inclusion school, K0-grade 5
- Achievement Network, City Connects/Boston College, AIP, BOKS by Reebok, Imagination Playground, Federal Reserve Bank, Inclusive Schools Network, Harvard University, UMass Boston, Lesley University, Wheelock College, Berklee College of Music, Boston Bikes, Climb Corps, and other local Americorps organizations
Before and after school programs in our building
- Before school: 7:00-9:00 am, $30 per week
- After school: Achieve! by GRASP, 3:20 -6:00 pm, $87 per week per child (rate varies), academics and enrichment
Contact the Holmes
Yeshi Gaskin Lamour
40 School Street
Dorchester, MA 02124
United StatesPhone617-635-8681Fax617-635-8685Visit our website!
2017-2018 School Year Hours9:30 am - 4:10 pm
Early Dismissal, the day before Thanksgiving and last two days of school: 2:10 p.m.
School Type: Regular