Hennigan K-8 School
At the Hennigan School, we welcome and celebrate a diverse student community. All of our students learn in a culturally sensitive environment with educators who have each been trained to meet the individual learning needs of our students.
The Hennigan School provides opportunities for all students to succeed at the elementary level to prepare them for success at the middle and high school levels, college and beyond. We provide a rigorous curriculum focused on content-based knowledge.
The Hennigan School was named a "High Support School" and therefore receives additional support for staff and students. We developed a strategic plan to accelerate the learning of all of our students.
Educational success depends on a dedicated staff. Our teachers, paraprofessionals, and support staff all believe that every student can attain academic success through motivation, dedication and superior teaching. We have created a nurturing environment for all learners, and continually work to motivate students to want to be successful and college bound. Through our school slogan: Be Here, Be Ready, Be Safe, Be Responsible and Be Respectful (known as “The 5 B’s”), we strive to build self-confidence and social and emotional growth for all those who enter our school.
- Specialties including swimming, performing arts, music, science, computer literacy, physical education, and Latin dance
- Math and literacy specialists and tutors who provide small group and one-to-one literacy and math support.
- Tutoring for state tests
- Academic Achievement Frameworks Team that coordinates educational services, resources, counseling, advocacy and consultation
- Large Somali and ELL population supported by the ACEDONE after school program
- City Year classroom and after school support
- Boys and Girls Club, Strong Women Strong Girls, and Boys Scouts
Special academic programs
- Sheltered English Instruction (SEI) and multilingual classrooms in kindergarten-grade 7
- Advanced Work Class for eligible students in grades 4 and 5; English and Spanish programs
- Special education classes: emotional and social development (ESD), Spanish; and student learning disabilities (SLD)
- ESL support in kindergarten-grade 7
- HILT (High Intensity Language Training) to help native language speakers whose formal education has been interrupted make rapid progress learning English.
- Harvard University, Boston University, Hellenic College, BOKS Kids, Girl Scouts, Boston Institute of Psychotherapy, Boston Partners in Education, Harvard University-HASI After School Program, Boys and Girls Club, Museum of Fine Arts, Read Boston, Hyde Square Task Force Learn Through Dance, Hennigan Community Center
Before and after school programs in our building
- Before school: Hennigan Community Center, $20 per week for grades K-5; BOKS before school program from 8:10 am, grades K-5, free
- After school:
- City Year Starfish for grades 3-5, free
- America SCORES N.E. soccer and writing program for grades 3-5, $50 per year
- Hennigan Community Center Friendship Program for grades K-5, $65 per week, vouchers accepted, sliding fee scale
- Girl Scouts for girls in grades K-5, $12 per year
- ALERTA program for selected students, free
- ACEDONE after school program for English language learners in K-grade 5, free
200 Heath Street
Jamaica Plain, MA 02130
9:30 am - 4:10 pm
Early Dismissal, the day before Thanksgiving and last two days of school: 2:10 p.m.
Grades: K2-7; adding grade 8 in 2016-17
School Type: Traditional