Harvard/Kent Elementary School
The Harvard/Kent Elementary School welcomes all students and families to a safe and rigorous learning environment where we show our PRIDE in student work and everything we do! Our students demonstrate Purpose, Responsibility, Individuality, Determination, and Engagement.
We expect all of our students to read, write, become proficient in math, create meaningful art, and participate in activities. We believe all students can learn; and we support students in their goals to become great citizens. Our school is well cared for by all students and staff. Our classrooms are large and bright. We have a great gymnasium and schoolyard with a new outdoor classroom.
Each year, our HK Leadership/Scholarship Board awards $1000 college scholarships to six student leaders who best represent our school values.
- Strong academic programs in literacy, math, social studies
- An award-winning staff and highly qualified teaching team
- Consistent growth on MCAS assessments, particularly in math
- Harvard/Kent Leadership Scholarship program, offering $1,000 college scholarships to six student leaders each school year.
- Summer partnership with Courageous Sailing and the USS Constitution Museum
- Great educational events for families, including Bedtime Story night and our annual Family Health Fair
- Read Boston to help younger students become stronger readers
- Spacious classrooms and library, a great gymnasium, and new Boston Celtics computer lab
- Many additional student programs, including BOKS, School Chorus, Healthy Bodies, SuperSoccer Stars, and Knucklebones
- Before school and after school academic support programs
- On-site school and adjustment counseling for students
- Guaranteed assignment to the Edwards Middle School
Special academic programs
- Special education programs: emotional impairment and learning disabilities
- Sheltered English Instruction (SEI) for English language learners (Chinese)
- Big Sister/Big Brother, Courageous Sailing, Community Boat Building, Charlestown YMCA, Harvard-Kent Leadership Scholarship, MGH Health Careers Institute, Museum of Science, E-INC, Read Boston, Charlestown Boys & Girls Club
Before and after school programs in our building
- Before school, 7:45-9:10 am: Program for ages 5-12 with light tutorial work, BOKS fitness program, and activities to get ready for school; $25 per week.
- Specialized reading instruction; K2-grade 5, 8-week sessions for struggling readers.
- After school: Math program for grade 3-5; enrichment and recreation activities.
- K1-K2 after school program, $20 per week, including soccer and other organized activities
50 Bunker Hill Street
Charlestown, MA 02129
2017-2018 School Year Hours
9:30 am - 4:10 pm
Early Dismissal, the day before Thanksgiving and last two days of school: 2:10 p.m.
School Type: Traditional