Hale Elementary School
Children are the heart and soul of the Nathan Hale School, a small community-based school in the heart of historic Roxbury. Our school family is committed to effective teaching and best practices to prepare all students to achieve.
The Nathan Hale continues to work hard to maintain excellent yearly progress based on Mass Standards as well as 21st Century skills. All classrooms use Investigations for math instruction. Our Family Parent Council provides information about instructional programs and community resources. Urban Improv, Play Works Lunch Recess, Cooperative Discipline, Open Circle, parent involvement, high expectations, and Covey's 7 Habits of Highly Effective Leaders support the development of a respectful school climate.
- Small, safe community school
- State-of-the-art courtyard and award-winning mural
- School band, ITEAMS, Technology Goes Home, and state of the art computer lab
- Community Service Learning projects and Junior Achievement programs
- High expectation for academics and behavior
- Annual Year Book
- Chosen by Boston Magazine as one of the “Best of Boston: Top 100 Schools” in 2005
- Students SMILE a lot: Safe environment for learning
- Committed to effective teaching and best practices
- National awards for staff and principal, National Bronze Award for Health, Wellness, and Nutrition
- Guaranteed assignment to the Timilty Middle School.
Before and after school programs in our building
- Before school, 7:15-8:00 am: BOKS, a fun physical activity program.
- After school, to 6:00 pm: Run by Bird Street Community Center. Instrumental music, chess, poetry, art, homework time. The principal enjoys clarinet lessons with the students. Sliding fee scale.
Karen Loughran (Interim)
51 Cedar Street
Roxbury, MA 02119
8:30 am - 3:10 pm
Early Dismissal, the day before Thanksgiving and the last two days of school:12:40 p.m.
School Type: Traditional