Ellison/Parks Early Education School
The Dr. Catherine Ellison/Rosa Parks Early Education School is an inclusive school that supports all students to achieve academic and social success. There are integrated classes for each grade level as well as Sheltered English Instruction(SEI) classes for English Language Learners. We are excited to offer an exciting new STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, and Math) program to students in all grades (K0-3) which includes robotics instruction at least once a week during the academic day. Our Kindergarten students are exploring with Bee-Bots and our 1-3 graders are using Lego WeDo Robotics materials.
Ellison/Parks EES provides a before school program from 7:15-8:30 and a dynamic Surround Care Soars program from 2:30-4:35 p.m. Our before and after school programs are part of our school day and offered (free of charge) to all students. During our Surround Care Soars Program students are exposed to enrichment opportunities such as Visual Arts, Kodaly singing lessons, photography, Zumba, science, and robotics.
The facility is relatively new with wireless access throughout the building. In addition, we use technology as a learning tool with SmartBoards; and document cameras are available for instructional use in all K2 through 3rd grade classes. We also have three laptop carts and an iPad cart available for use for our kindergarten and grades 1-3 classes. We have a full sized cafeteria, gymnasium, and library/media lab.
- Partnership with VSA of Mass. that brings in a resident artist to both plan and co-teach lessons that integrate the arts into content instruction for all grade levels
- Small classes, with a ratio of 1 adult to 10 children in the kindergarten and inclusion classrooms
- A diverse staff that reflects our diverse student enrollment
- Standards-based, culturally responsive curriculum
- Reading with Friends, My Reading Buddy, and Home Reading programs to promote reading
- Active parental/family engagement and advocacy, including Men’s and Women’s Night Out program that encourages parents/guardians to read to their children and become more involved parents
- Winner of several grants, including Harvard Achievement Support Initiative (HASI ) and Family Literacy and Early Reading First from the U.S. Dept. of Education
- Beautifully designed, child-centered, state of the art building and playground
- STEAM specialist focuses on the integration of Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Mathematics
- Guaranteed assignment to grade 4 at the Mildred Avenue K-8 School.
Special academic programs
- Integrated classes of general education and special education students at every grade level
- Sheltered English Instruction (SEI) for English language learners
- Boston Children’s Museum, Boston Nature Center & Trailside Museum, Cradles to Crayons, Harvard Achievement Support Initiative (HASI), Mattapan Public Library, Milton Academy, Museum of Science, New England Aquarium, Swanson Automotive Services, VSA of Massachusetts (arts)
Before and after school programs in our building
- Free before and after school surround care and enrichment from 7:30 am to 4:35 pm. SmartTALK, after-school homework program, robotics, photography, Zumba, science, visual arts, storytelling with puppets, creative movement, and math art.
Benjamin Rockoff (Interim)
108 Babson Street
Mattapan, MA 02126
2017-2018 School Hours
7:30 am - 4:35 pm
Early Dismissal, the day before Thanksgiving and last two days of school: 2:35 p.m.
Level: Early Childhood
School Type: Traditional