Edison K-8 School
The Thomas Edison K-8 School serves children in K1 through grade 8 in an environment that is nurturing and safe. Edison students learn to read, write, compute and think through a high expectations curriculum that includes academic and arts education.
All students receive weekly instruction in music, theater, and fine arts, with opportunities to learn an instrument, sing in a chorus, or act in a play. The core values of Respect, Responsibility, Resourcefulness, Righteousness, and Rigor are taught and celebrated throughout the school and the school year. We are dedicated to health and wellness and have beautiful facilities for recreation, exercise, and contemplation on our school grounds and within walking distance in the neighborhood.
The school is located in a quiet suburban neighborhood with proximity to parks, athletic fields, and environmental science sites. We are able to take advantage of the many resources of the Allston-Brighton community.
- Arts-focused curriculum
- Before and after school programs for all grades
- Instrumental music, chorus, theater, dance, and art
- Basketball, track, volleyball, and soccer
- Exit portfolio requirement for grade 8
- New science labs
- All students receive 20 minutes of recess per day
- Auditorium, gym, full-service cafeteria, playground
Emphasis on inclusion practices for students with disabilities
- Blended learning technology model
- Guaranteed assignment for students from the Baldwin ELPA and Winship.
Special academic programs
- Excellence for All in grades 4-6, including coding, robotics, and foreign language instruction
- Emphasis on inclusion practices for students with disabilities
- Sheltered English Instruction (SEI) in all grades for students from 65 countries, speaking over 20 languages
- Harvard University, PlayBall, Boston College, Berklee College of Music, Wheelock College, City Connects, College Success Academy/ Steppingstone Foundation, Jackson Mann Community Center, New England SCORES
Before and after school programs in our building:
- Before school: On-site, run by Jackson/Mann Community Center for students in K1-grade
- After school: Jackson/Mann Community Center, College Success Academy, America SCORES Boston soccer and writing, rowing sports; Strong Women Strong Girls, Science Club, Debate Mate, Playworks Junior Coach program
60 Glenmont Road
Brighton, MA 02135
8:30 a.m. - 3:10 p.m.
Early Dismissal, the day before Thanksgiving and last two days of school: 1:10 p.m.
School Type: Traditional