Boston Community Leadership Academy
BCLA/McCormack offers a rigorous college preparatory program with college acceptance as a graduation requirement. Our pilot school focuses on developing future scholar leaders through community service learning and adherence to rigorous academic, social and civic expectations. We meet every student at his/her level and prepare them to be successful in college.
Our school course offerings include traditional college preparatory classes (English Language Arts, Integrated Math, History, and Science classes), five AP classes, four levels of Spanish, and programs to support our English Learners and students with
learning disabilities, including MDC. Twelfth-grade students take part in Senior Exhibitions, Portfolios, and Capstone Projects requiring action research in their communities. Students voice is a valuable part of BCLA and informs our school practices and policies.
What Makes Our School Special:
● The diversity of our student body (our students’ language, cultural, racial, ethnic, socio-economic, and ability backgrounds)
● A pilot school with a college preparatory curriculum and leadership/community advocacy and service theme
● Academic requirements for students that align with the Common Core: 4 years of English, 4 years of Math, 4 years of Science, 4 years of History, and 2
years of Foreign Language
● Standardized and alternative assessments (exhibitions, portfolio presentations, and senior capstone)
● Co-curricular opportunities for students to exemplify leadership and be of service
● Varsity and JV athletic programs in football, boys’ and girls’ basketball, boys’ and girls’ soccer, volleyball, and (in partnership with New Mission High School)
● AP courses: English Language and Composition, Literature, Calculus, Statistics, and Spanish
● Community Action Seminars
● Aim High MCAS support and tutoring program with Boston Partners in Education
● Academic and co-curricular after-school programs (Girls’ Group, National Honor Society, etc.)
● Partnerships with Boston Scholar-Athlete, Tenacity, Boston Medical Center, The Home for Little Wanderers, MOST, Boston Police Department, Trinity Connects
Special admission processCall the school to schedule a tour and/or interview
Contact the BCLA/McCormack
Head of SchoolOndrea Johnston
Grades 7-9:315 Mt Vernon StDorchester, MA 02125Grades 10-12:655 Metropolitan Avenue
Hyde Park, MA firstname.lastname@example.org
School Hours7:55 a.m.-2:25 p.m.Early Dismissal, the day before Thanksgiving and the last two days of school: 11:55 p.m.
School Type: Traditional