Blackstone Elementary School
At the Blackstone Elementary School, we empower each other to learn, grow, succeed and become our best selves. Working together, we foster the core values that lie within us; respect, unity, and excellence!
Underpinning this mission is our school principle of “Ubuntu”: We are who we are because of each other and our core values of respect, unity, and excellence.
What Makes Our School Special
- City Year, Generations, Inc., Boston Partners in Education and St.Stephen's providing in-class support.
- NAEYC accredited early childhood education programs for students aged 3-5
- Physical education, health classes, swimming, yoga, art, social studies, music, and technology
- State-of-the-art, school-based health center: Dr. Gerald Hass-South End Community Health Center
- Power Lunch, Big Brother/Big Sister, and City Year mentoring programs
- Several academic and enrichment afterschool programs
- Technology Goes Home for grades 4–5: parents and students take classes and earn a laptop upon completion
- Quarterly family nights with various themes: Health/Wellness night, STEAM Night, Multi-Cultural Night
- Counseling for students and families through the on-site South End Community Health Center
- Home visits to build relationships with families and students
- English as a Second Language for students and an English Class for family members who have students attend the Blackstone School.
- Guaranteed assignment to grade 6 at the Timilty Middle School.
Special academic programs:
- Integrated early childhood, K0-K2 (ages 3-5)
Before and after school programs in our building:
- Before school: Mon.-Fri., 7:15-8:15; $5 per day
- After school: City Year Starfish Program, grades 3-5, Monday-Thursday, free; IBA after-school program, grades 1-2 English learner (EL) students, Monday-Friday, free; Imajine That after-school program, for students in K0/K1/K2, Monday-Friday (there is a cost for this program)
380 Shawmut Avenue
Boston, MA 02118
8:25 a.m.-3:05 p.m.
Early Dismissal, the day before Thanksgiving and last two days of school: 12:35 p.m.
School Type: Traditional