Need to register your child for Boston Public Schools?
All Welcome Centers are open, so stop by and register your child today!
Registration for the 2023-2024 school year is now open for all grades! The priority registration period for students entering K0, K1, K2, grade 6, 7, and 9 in September ran from January 4 - February 6 and students will receive their school assignments by March 31. The priority registration period for all other grades runs from February 8 - April 7 and students will receive their school assignments by May 31. See below for the full set of dates for the 2023-2024 school year.
Also find below the Registration Checklist for the list of required documents to register your child and make the process run smoothly.
The BPS Welcome Center
BPS Welcome Center staff are available to answer all of your questions about school registration over the phone or in-person.
- All BPS Welcome Centers are open for appointments or walk-in services.
- Welcome Centers are located in Roxbury, Dorchester, East Boston, and Roslindale.
- The Welcome Centers are open Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday from 9 am to 5 pm and Wednesday from 12 noon to 5 pm.
- The Welcome Center in East Boston is only open on Monday and Tuesday, 9 am to 5 pm.
Ways to Register
You can register by:
- Computer - Pre-register online (https://sis.mybps.org). Schedule an appointment (https://booknow.appointment-plus.com) to complete the process on the phone or in-person.
- In-person - Stop by one of our four Welcome Centers and work directly with a registration specialist.
Get a headstart on your appointment by pre-registering your student online here: https://sis.mybps.org
BPS Registration Checklist
See our BPS Registration Checklist below to ensure you have all the necessary documents to register for Boston Public Schools.
* We are happy to offer registration assistance in other languages. For interpretation assistance, please call the Welcome Center at 617-635-9010.
Important Dates for School Year 2023-2024 Registration
Round 1: Priority Registration Period for students entering K0, K1, K2, Grade 6, Grade 7*, and Grade 9 in September of 2023
- Registration runs from January 4 - February 3, 2023.
- Assignment notifications will be sent by March 31, 2023.
*Note: Students entering Grade 7 will make school choices during the Jan 4 - Feb 3 period, but will receive assignment notifications by May 31, 2023. This is due to the timeline for exam school invitations, which are scheduled to be sent out by April 30.
Round 2: Priority Registration Period for all other grades not listed above.
- Registration runs from February 8 - April 7, 2023.
- Assignment notifications will be sent by May 31, 2023.
Current BPS Students in Final Grade of their school
Current BPS students enrolled in the final grade of their school will receive choice forms to be able to make new school choices for the 2023-2024 school year. Choice forms will be sent out in early January (for rising 6, 7, and 9th graders) and mid-February (for all other grades). Choice forms will be sent via email and sent home through your child's school. They can be completed online or returned to your school.
Before You Visit a Welcome Center
- Explore your family's choices by visiting DiscoverBPS.org.
- Pre-register online here - your appointment will go faster.
- Schedule an appointment online herefor a shorter wait time
- See our age requirements for enrollment: 2023-2024 School Year
- Make sure you have all the necessary documents listed below to register your child.
- Child’s original birth certificate, I-94 form, or passport*
- Child’s up-to-date immunization record
- Child's up-to-date physical exam record (within the last year)
- Parent/Guardian’s photo identification
- TWO of the following documents to verify City of Boston residency (items cannot be from the same category below):
- A Utility Bill (not water or cell phone) dated within the past 60 days
- A Deed or Mortgage Payment dated within the past 60 days, or Property Tax Bill dated within the last year
- A current Lease, Section 8 Agreement, or BPS Landlord Affidavit, dated within a year
BPS Landlord Affidavit are also available in:
English | Kabuverdianu | 文 | Kreyòl | Português | Español | tiếng Việt | Afsoomaali
- A W2 form dated within the year or a Payroll Stub dated within the past 60 days
- A Bank or Credit Card Statement dated within the past 60 days
- A Letter from an Approved Government Agency** dated within the past 60 days
*Use of Passport requires completion of BPS Parent Affidavit.
**Approved Government Agencies include the Department of Revenue (DOR), Department of Children and Families (DCF), Department of Transitional Assistance (DTA), Department of Youth Services (DYS) or Social Security. Some communications on Commonwealth of Massachusetts Letterhead may also apply.
- If your child has an IEP, please make sure to have a copy of the most recent IEP available when you register.
- It is recommended that high school students bring in a copy of their transcript when they register to help determine the most appropriate grade level for your student.
Please Note: Families who register in February through June for an assignment for both the current and the following school year are NOT guaranteed to keep their current school year school placement for the next school year.
International Exchange Students: Please click here for additional information about Boston Public Schools' policy on international students temporarily looking to study in Boston. International Exchange Students
School Registration Information Sessions
Please attend an information session if you are registering your child for the upcoming school year. These will provide you with the opportunity to ask questions and learn about the school registration process through virtual and in-person information sessions. Links for the virtual sessions will be posted as they become available.
Wednesday, December 14 @ 10:00 AM - Webinar (Watch the recorded session HERE)
Thursday, February 16 @ 5:30 PM - Zoom Meeting
- Link: https://k12-bostonpublicschools.zoom.us/j/82511715168
- Dial-In Number: 1-646-518-9805 or 1-213-338-8477; Meeting ID: 82511715168#
Recordings of all virtual sessions will be posted here after the session takes place.
If your student needs language testing, a registration specialist will help you schedule an appointment at the Newcomers Assessment Counseling Center (NACC). Language testing is conducted in person at the Bolling Building (2300 Washington Street, Roxbury). Once your student has completed their language assessment, you can make your school selections.
We are here to serve you and are happy to offer registration assistance in other languages. For interpretation assistance, please call the Welcome Center at 617-635-9010.
For Work Permits, please complete this form.
Once completed, a Registration Specialist will contact you within two business days regarding the next steps for your work permit.
Registration Hotline(617) 635-9046