BPS Welcome Center staff are available to answer all of your questions about school registration. We also assist with work permits.
ALL BPS Welcome Centers are open for in-person services. You can schedule an appointment or just stop by. Welcome Centers are located in Roxbury, Dorchester, East Boston, and Roslindale. The Welcome Centers will be open Monday through Friday from 9am to 5pm. The Welcome Center in East Boston is only open on Monday and Tuesday.
You can register by:
Before You Visit a Welcome Center
- Read DiscoverBPS, a resource for incoming and current BPS families seeking a new school, program, or placement:
- See our age requirements for enrollment: 2022-2023 School Year
- Explore your family's choices by visiting DiscoverBPS.org.
- Pre-register online here - your appointment will go faster.
- Schedule an appointment online here for a shorter wait time
- Make sure you have all the necessary documents listed below to register your child.
- Child’s original birth certificate, I-94 form, or passport
- Child’s up-to-date immunization record
- Parent/Guardian’s photo identification
- TWO of the following documents to verify City of Boston residency (items cannot be from the same category below):
- A Utility Bill (not water or cell phone) dated within the past 60 days
- A Deed, Mortgage Payment dated within the past 60 days, or Property Tax Bill dated within the last year
- A current Lease, Section 8 Agreement, or BPS Landlord Affidavit, dated within a year
- A W2 form dated within the year or a Payroll Stub dated within the past 60 days
- A Bank or Credit Card Statement dated within the past 60 days
- A Letter from an Approved Government Agency* dated within the past 60 days
Please Note: Families who register in February through June for an assignment for both the current and the following school year are NOT guaranteed to keep their current school year school placement for the next school year.
International Exchange Students: Please click here for additional information about Boston Public Schools' policy on international students temporarily looking to study in Boston. International Exchange Students
Please view a recorded information session if you are registering your child for the upcoming school year and would like to learn about the process.
Wednesday, December 1 @ 10:00 am - Meeting Recording
Wednesday, December 1 @ 5:30 pm - Meeting Recording
Thursday, February 3 @ 10:00 am - Meeting Recording
If your student needs language testing, a registration specialist will help you schedule an appointment at the Newcomers Assessment Counseling Center (NACC). Language testing is conducted in person at the Bolling Building (2300 Washington Street, Roxbury). Once your student has completed their language assessment, you can make your school selections.
If your child is eligible for bus transportation for next year and is registered by August 12th, their bus assignment and stop information will be emailed and mailed before the start of school. For additional about transportation, visit the "Fall 2022 Transportation FAQ" page on our website at bostonpublicschools.org/transportation-FAQ
We are here to serve you and are happy to offer registration assistance in other languages. For interpretation assistance, please call the Welcome Center at 617-635-9010.
BPS Student Registration Form
BPS Registration Document Checklist
For Work Permits, please complete this form. Once completed a Registration Specialist will contact you within two business days regarding the next steps for your work permit.
Visit our BuildBPS page to learn more about recent updates regarding schools expanding to serve 6th grade.
Registration Hotline(617) 635-9046