Richard J. Murphy K-8 School
The Murphy School has won numerous honors. We have many staff members who have been recognized on a city, state and national level for their accomplishments. Our before and after school programs are models for the state. We take great pride in our students’ success.
Murphy students are achieving great progress and success in core academic areas because teachers devote more uninterrupted time to these subjects every day. Grades 5-8 are departmentalized, allowing teachers to instruct one core subject. We have a range of extra-time programs – before school, after school, and exam school preparation. We keep class sizes smaller by adding paraprofessionals, graduate interns, and student teachers to each classroom team to increase the number of adults available to help students. As a result, students receive more attention and individual instruction.
Teachers are highly trained in teaching reading, writing, mathematics, science and the use of computers as a tool for learning. We have two computer labs as well as a mobile MAC lab and 8 Chromebook carts that can travel to each classroom. We are continually investing in technology as each teacher has their own BPS laptop, LCD projector, and document camera.
Special subjects include swimming, physical education, science, computers, music, and library.
What makes our school special:
• MACC before and after school programs in collaboration with the Leahy-Holleran Community Center
• Partnerships with Urban Improv, Teach Plus, and BU.
• Interns and student teachers from Emmanuel College, Tufts University, UMass and Mass General Hospital to assist in classrooms
• A dedicated faculty, including lead teachers, teacher-coaches, four Nationally Board Certified Teachers, Boston Teachers of the Year, and a finalist for the Massachusetts Teacher of the Year award
• Preparation for Independent School Entrance Exam (ISEE) for all students in grades 6 and 8
• Swimming, music, art, technology, and physical education
• Renovated gym with rock wall
•Strong parent involvement, with an active parent council, fundraising, and principal coffee hours
• Partnerships with many businesses, universities, and cultural organizations.
• Partnership with Play Ball! Foundation, providing competitive sports teams for our middle school students
PARTNERSHIP with Playworks, Generations Inc, and Community Music of Boston
Special academic programs:
• Advanced Work Classes for eligible students in grades 4-6
• Children’s Services of Greater Boston, Community Music Center of Boston, Emmanuel College and Graduate School, Northeastern University, Reebok, Simmons College, Stop and Shop, University of Massachusetts Boston, Playworks, Generations Inc, Pearce House
Before and after school programs in our building:
• Before school, 7:15-8:15 am, Monday through Friday. BOKS Kidz fitness is Monday, Wednesday and Friday, 7:15-8:00. Walking Club Tuesday and Thursday from 7:30-8:15
• After school, to 5:00 MACC , Monday-Friday; homework help, art, music, technology, chess, science, history, renewable energy, drama, Destination Imagination and instrumental music lessons.
Forms & Documents
1 Worrell St.
Dorchester, MA 02122
Fax: 617-635-8787School Hours: 8:30-3:10