Externships are designed to equip teachers with experience and a social network of fellow educators that address real-world project and problem-based tasks that guide learning experiences for students as they enter into a rapidly changing world.
2020 Virtual Summer Externships
Summer Externships are back and we're going virtual! We are thrilled to be able to offer two exciting programs during July and August. All programs will be offered via a series of webinars. When we can all be together again, we will coordinate onsite visits to the partners who facilitated the webinars. Applications are reviewed and accepted on a rolling basis. Exact agendas will be sent in the coming weeks.
1. Design Thinking and the Future of Architecture, Engineering, and Construction: a professional development externship opportunity to build connections with leaders of the AEC (Architecture, Engineering, and Construction) industry in Greater Boston. The two-week summer program will expose teachers to the in-demand skills and careers related to the AEC industry, and how they all interconnect. Teachers will be equipped with information and social networks allowing them to design real-world, problem-based, and project-based learning experiences for their students. Participants will be compensated with PDPs.
- Dates: July 27-August 7, 2020
- Time: Approximately 4 hours, Exact scheduling to follow
- Locations: Your home!
2. Cybersecurity: Over the course of 3 days learn about the cybersecurity industry on a high level from Rapid 7. Teachers will be introduced to the different jobs and skills in cybersecurity, meet with professionals, and work through some activities that can be used with your students. Participants will be compensated with PDPs. (Days will be 3 hours long).
- Dates: August 10-12, 2020
- Time: Approximately 3 hours, Exact scheduling to follow
- Locations: Your home!
February 2020 ExternshipsWe're excited to offer two different Externship experiences, both taking place over February break.
- Pharmaceutical/Healthcare: Explore the drug development process with Eli Lilly, Schrodinger, and Halloran, facilitated by LifeScience Cares and supported by MassBioEd. Over four days, you will be introduced to each of the major stages of pharmaceutical drug development. On your final day, you will work with LifeScience Cares and MassBioEd to create a presentation showcasing what you've learned and how you think your experience could be helpful to your students and in the classroom.
- Dates: February 18-21, 2020
- Times: February 18-20, 9 am-Noon | February 21, 9 am-3 pm
- Locations: To follow
- Technology: edX, a leader in online education technology, will be hosting a two-day externship for BPS teachers and school-based staff interested in learning more about their platform and approach to the industry.
- Dates: February 18 & 19, 2020
- Times: February 18, 10 am-3:30 pm | February 19, 10 am-3:45 pm
- Location: edX Office, 141 Portland St, Cambridge MA 02139
Summer 2019 Externships
This past summer, the BPS Office of Expanded Learning Opportunities co-designed in partnership with Autodesk, BoSTEM, the Boston Opportunity Agenda, Microsoft, UnitedWay, and VentureCafé to launch the pilot year of the program.
We were excited to be able to offer three incredible experiences open to all BPS educators to join the Summer 2019 pilot program. Educators were compensated with a stipend and PDPs.
Programs took place in July & August 2019. The timing of each opportunity varies from 2 days to 10 days, depending on the company you work with and the amount of time you’d like to dedicate.
Autodesk AEC (Architecture, Engineering, and Construction) Teacher Externship:
- A professional development externship opportunity for teachers to build connections with fast-growing, tech-led companies in Greater Boston
- The two-week summer program exposes teachers to the in-demand skills and careers related to the AEC industry (architecture, engineering, and construction), and how they all interconnect
- Teachers will be equipped with information and social networks allowing them to design real-world, problem-based and project-based learning experiences for their students
- The program runs from August 5 - 16
- Participants will receive both PDPs and a stipend
VentureCafe Summer Tech Externships Sponsored by Microsoft:
- A new professional development externship opportunity for teachers from all disciplines to build connections with fast-growing tech-led companies in Greater Boston
- The one-week 1/2 day program will run three times: July 8 - July 12, July 15 - July 19, and August 12 - August 16
- Enrollment is limited to ten places per program, and no tech background is needed
- Participants will receive both PDPs and a stipend with per diem for transportation
Focused on the FabMaker Studio:
- A "behind the scenes" look at educational media and development from one of the leaders in the industry
- Learn about digital fabrication and how it comes to be
- Designing and coding web-based applications
- The FabMaker Studio works with a variety of industry partners that externs would have numerous opportunities to network with
- The two-day program will take place on Tuesday, July 16 and Thursday, July 18 from 10 am-5 pm
- Enrollment is limited to two BPS educators
- Participants will be compensated with a stipend of $200 per day per teacher and PDPs