Boston Universal Pre-K
Welcome! We’re excited you’re considering pre-k for your child. The City of Boston provides high-quality prekindergarten (preschool) for every 4-year-old living in the city at no cost to families. The program recently expanded to serve a limited number of 3-year-olds. Pre-k is a 6-5-hour school day for 180 days per year.
The Boston UPK preschool program is one of the strongest in the nation. Research shows children who attend are more prepared for kindergarten in the areas of early math, reading, and social-emotional development.
Apply Now for 2022-23
Applications are now being accepted for pre-k at community-based providers for the 2022-23 school year. Apply now here. Families who submit an application will be contacted about placement at a community provider based within 72 business hours (Monday-Friday).
Application Update (7/12/22): 3-year-old UPK seats have filled
Please note that Boston Universal Pre-K seats for 3-year-olds (age as of September 1, 2022) are presently full. You can still submit an application to be added to the waitlist.
There are still seats available for 4-year-olds (age as of September 1, 2022) at community providers for the 2022-23 school year, so please submit an application!
Boston Universal Pre-K continues to expand while building a program of high quality. While Boston UPK was originally launched to serve 4-year-old children in Boston, the program continues to expand annually to serve more 3-year-olds.
Note: If you are seeking to apply for pre-k in a Boston Public Schools setting (not at a community provider), please note that enrollment is through BPS Welcome Services. Information on the timeline and process for enrollment in BPS can be found at www.bostonpublicschools.org/register.
Next steps after applying for pre-k at Boston Universal Pre-K community providers:
Upon applying for UPK and ranking up to three preferred community providers, the following process will take place:
- The applicant should receive a confirmation email at the email address provided during the application account set-up that the application was received.
- Placements for UPK seats at community providers for the 2022-2023 school year will begin in June 2022.
- If applying after seat placement has begun in June 2022, the family will hear from their first choice provider within 72 business hours (Monday through Friday) - as long as that provider has not yet filled its available seats.
- The family may have a call and/or site visit with the community provider.
- If the family chooses to enroll their child there, they would work with the provider to complete paperwork and submit required documentation. The provider would then enroll the student.
- If the family chooses not to enroll their student at the first provider or if the first provider has filled its seats, the family can be referred to one of their other preferred community providers by BPS.
- The student is not enrolled until the family completes the enrollment process with the community provider. Boston Public Schools staff cannot complete the enrollment process; enrollment is between the family and the chosen community provider. Parents and caregivers can reach out at any time to BPS UPK staff if they have questions on the status of their application or if they would like to re-rank their provider choices by emailing email@example.com or calling 617-635-1507.