The Boston School Committee created the ELL Task Force in October, 2009 to provide guidance to the School Committee, the Superintendent, and BPS on the vision and development of a plan of action that responds to the new demographics of the BPS for students whose home language is not English and to identify mechanisms to address the needs of our increasing multicultural and multilingual district and its students.
The ELL Task Force presented recommendations to the School Committee in March, 2011. The School Committee endorsed the recommendations in June, 2011 and approved the reconstitution of the ELL Task Force into a monitoring body that would meet during SY 2011-12 and continue through June, 2013 to review progress made towards implementing the recommendations.
The recommendations included these seven priority goals:
- Recognize and Promote BPS as a Multilingual, Multicultural District
- Improve Student Assessment and Assignment
- Expand Program Quality and Quantity
- Improve Family/Community Engagement
- Support ELL Students with Special Needs
- Improve Data Systems and Use of Technology
- Ensure Accountability and Monitoring
ELL Task Force Membership Roster SY 2017-18
Coordinator: Michael Berardino
ELL Task Force Meeting
April 12, 2018 at 9 a.m.
To learn more, or review the meeting archives, click here.