The Boston School Committee created the ELL Task Force in October, 2009 to provide guidance to the School Committee, the Superintendent, and BPS on the vision and development of a plan of action that responds to the new demographics of the BPS for students whose home language is not English and to identify mechanisms to address the needs of our increasing multicultural and multilingual district and its students.
The ELL Task Force presented recommendations to the School Committee in March, 2011. The School Committee endorsed the recommendations in June, 2011 and approved the reconstitution of the ELL Task Force into a monitoring body that would meet regularly to review the district's progress made towards implementing the recommendations.
The recommendations included these seven priority goals:
- Recognize and Promote BPS as a Multilingual, Multicultural District
- Improve Student Assessment and Assignment
- Expand Program Quality and Quantity
- Improve Family/Community Engagement
- Support ELL Students with Special Needs
- Improve Data Systems and Use of Technology
- Ensure Accountability and Monitoring
Coordinator: Jen Douglas
ELL Task Force meetings are held at the Bruce C. Bolling Municipal Building, 2300 Washington Street, Roxbury, MA 02119.
Tuesday, January 21 at 10 a.m.
School Committee Chamber, 2nd floor
To learn more, or review the meeting archives, click here.