Department of Food and Nutrition Services
Check out bostonpublicschools.org/freemeals
Remote Learning Meal Super Sites: Families can pick up 5-day meal packs for each student. The packs include 5 breakfasts and 5 lunches. There are also food distribution sites throughout the City of Boston.
School Meals: Meals are available to students attending school in-person, including 3-day meal packs to take home.
We offer all Boston Public School students safe, wholesome, nutritious, enjoyable meals to fuel academic excellence. We achieve this in collaboration with students, parents, community, and school professionals.We envision Boston Public School settings where students naturally enjoy eating healthy foods, thereby becoming better prepared for academic learning and living, by a Food and Nutrition Services (FNS) Department that professionally manages all aspects of meal procurement, preparation, and service in properly-equipped kitchens by well-trained, engaged staff, within fiscal targets. To succeed, FNS becomes a key collaborator with its stakeholders and elevates the knowledge and understanding of healthy eating with students and the community.
Who We AreBoston Public Schools Food and Nutrition Services is the largest school meal program for breakfast and lunch in New England. We serve meals at 125 cafeterias and satellite schools.
What We DoWe are forward-thinking and forward-acting in regard to how we are setting the standards for the meals served to our students. FNS is breaking with the expected or usual and continues to incrementally improve the level of services and meals. FNS is determined to evolve the school meal program and continually elevate our schools. FNS will strive to:
- Provide enforcement of vending and student body sales for compliance.
- Maintain the highest nutritional nutrient standards and quality for school meals.
- Continuously maintain the directives of the Dietary Guidelines for Americans.
- Increase the variety, visibility, and accessibility of unprocessed fresh fruit and vegetables whenever possible.
- Offer local food choices whenever possible.
- Continue to provide at least one vegetarian option at each meal in the school meal program.
- Incorporate student and parent input with the nutritional improvements.