National Board Certification Support Program
National Board Certification, offered by the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards, is a voluntary performance-based assessment through which candidates demonstrate in-depth content knowledge and best teaching practices as measured against high and rigorous standards.
What are the benefits of becoming a National Board Certified Teacher?
- National recognition as an accomplished teacher
- Advanced teaching license option in many states
- 4% salary increase
- Six graduate credits option
- Opportunities for teacher leadership
- Deeper subject-matter knowledge
- Greater instructional skills
- Improved student learning
For National Board for Professional Teaching Standards Teacher Certification Information:
For questions pertaining to Massachusetts Department of Education National Board Subsidy contact:Deborah J. Walker781-338-3347
What do I need to qualify for National Board Certification?
- Baccalaureate degree
- Minimum three years teaching
- Valid state teaching license for at least three years
How do I start the process for National Board Certification?
- Read the online Guide to National Board Certification
- Complete the Take One! program
- Submit an online application
- Pay application fee and processing charge
What is Jump Start and is it the right professional development for me?
- Any teacher can attend Jump Start!
- Gain understanding of Component 1 or 2 and a write up a detailed action plan
- Allows teachers familiarize selves with standards and to measure their practice against a national standard
For more information: www.boardcertifiedteacher.org
What support can I expect as a candidate for National Board Certification?
- Information sessions
- Seminar and workshops
- Support groups