We prepare our students to be empowered contributing citizens in a global society through a journey of discovery and wonder. Our school community reflects the core values of community, advocacy, diversity and high expectations. As a community of learners we are becoming a center of excellence in the education of English Language Learners and a resource to others committed to this work.
Boston International Newcomers Academy is a Boston Public School that embraces new immigrant adolescent English language learners and their families. We teach English Language Learners across the content areas while cultivating native language literacy and culture. We partner with our families and community to ensure students will be college and career ready and motivated to pursue a life of learning and civic engagement by instilling the habits of ownership, perseverance, expression and service.
A high school specifically designed to serve a diverse student body of English Language Learners
- College preparatory curriculum designed to teach students English while also teaching rigorous content
- Newcomers Academy, a program for students newly arrived in the U.S. who have little or no schooling in their home country or whose education has been interrupted
- A dedicated staff that reflects the cultural and linguistic diversity of the students and communicates effectively with families and community partners
- Vibrant after school and Saturday programs offering academic support and enrichment
- Brand new biology and chemistry labs providing hands-on learning
- Arts programming offered in collaboration with Sociedad Latina and Youth and Family Enrichment Services
- University connections including Talented and Gifted (TAG) Latino program with UMass Boston and Refugee Youth Summer Enrichment (RYSE) with Harvard University
- Well-rounded athletics programs for boys and girls offering soccer, volleyball, basketball, and baseball
- SAT preparation for 11th graders after school
Additional school partners
- 826 Boston, Aim High tutoring, Boston College, Write Boston, Sociedad Latina, Youth & Family Enrichment Services (YOFES), and Urbano
- Students are assigned based on results of an English language placement test
- For information, call the BPS Roxbury Welcome Center, 617-635-9010