Governing BoardThe Governing Board meets once a month on Thursday mornings. At this time, elected teachers, parents, and community members come together to discuss the school budget and hear updates from the principal. The Pilot School autonomies as well as state law guide the Board's work in terms of budget, calendar/schedules, curriculum, and governance.
If you are interested in running for a seat on our Governing Board please contact Nicolasa Lopez.The next meeting is:Thursday, October 17, 20197:30AM-9AM
Thursday, November 21, 20197:30AM-9AMThursday, December 19, 20197:30AM-9AMThursday, January 9, 20207:30AM-9AMThursday, February 13, 20207:30AM-9AMThursday, March 26, 20207:30AM-9AMThursday, April 16, 20207:30AM-9AMThursday, May 21, 20207:30AM-9AM
Purpose of the Gardner Pilot Academy Governing Board
In June of 2006, Gardner Pilot Academy officially started the transition to full pilot status within the Boston Public Schools. The Gardner Pilot Academy is committed to academic excellence for all students. In order to achieve this goal, we have four major components to support student learning.
- A strong core instructional program designed to help all students meet high academic standards
- Enrichment activities designed to expand students’ learning opportunities and to support their cognitive, social, emotional, moral and physical development
- A full range of health and mental health services designed to safeguard children’s well-being and remove barriers to learning
- Parent support services designed to support adult literacy, English Language Learning, citizenship, housing, computer technology, nutrition, budgeting skills and career counseling.
The Gardner Pilot Academy Governing Board is charged to carry out the school’s vision and mission and to set school policies as a Boston Pilot School. The Pilot School autonomies as well as state laws guide the Board’s work in terms of budget, staffing, calendar/ schedules, curriculum, and governance. The Governing Board will align their work to the original vision as well as Pilot School autonomies. The scope of the Board’s work includes:
- Maintaining the school vision;
- Annually reviewing the school’s progress on indicators of student engagement and achievement;
- Ensuring a plan is in place to address gaps in student achievement;
- Developing school policies;
- Approving the annual school budget
- Hiring the principal;
- Evaluating the principal
- Approving the annual election to work agreement which includes a dispute resolution process
As well, the Board will develop a long term strategic plan focused on outcomes to guide the overall work of the school as a whole. The Board is charged with securing resources and partnerships into the school to support the vision and strategic planning. Implementation of Governing Board decisions as well as the overall management of the school is the primary role of the Principal and the Gardner Pilot Academy faculty.
The Governing Board MembersIrwin Blumer - ChairpersonErica Herman - PrincipalTeachers
Jacquire ArnoldMarian BarriosChristine BegganJen ScioliParent
Sarah RodrigoCommunity MemberDavid Simon