BPS Student At Home Symptom Checklist
BPS families must monitor their children for symptoms of COVID-19 everyday before school.
Some symptoms of COVID-19 are the same as the flu or a bad cold; please do not assume it is another condition.
When in doubt, stay home and call your primary care provider.
***YOUR CHILD MUST STAY HOME***
If your child or anyone in the home have any of the symptoms listed below:
- Fever (100.0°F or higher without fever reducing medicine), chills, or shaking chills
- Cough (not due to other known cause, such as asthma or allergies)
- Difficulty breathing or shortness of breath
- New loss of taste or smell
- Sore throat
- Headache (when in combination with other symptoms)
- Muscle aches or body aches
- Nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea
- Fatigue, (when in combination with other symptoms)
- Nasal congestion or runny nose (when in combination with other symptoms) (not due to other known causes, such as allergies) OR
- If your child is in contact with a household member who has an active COVID-19 diagnosis who has not yet been cleared from isolation by Boston Public Health Commission.
If Your Child Has Any Symptoms...
Step 1: Stay home
Your child must remain home and be evaluated by their primary care provider to consider testing for COVID-19.
Step 2: Call your school
Report the absence to the school administration and school nurse, noting if the absence is COVID-19 related.
Step 3: Test or isolate
- Negative Test:
- If a child has a negative Covid-19 test result, he/she may return to school if no fever or symptoms for at least 24h and any additional guidance from their medical provider.
- Positive Test:
- If testing results in a positive case, BPS will advise the family to work with BPHC to determine the risk to others through any advised contact tracing.
- Declining testing and isolating:
- If not tested, the child must remain home for 10 days since start of symptoms and until no fever or symptoms for 24h without fever-reducers or other medicine.
Exposed but NO Symptoms
If your child does NOT have any symptoms BUT has been exposed to a COVID-19 positive person, your child must stay home from school and quarantine for 14 days (starting from the last day of interaction with that individual).
Contact your primary care provider, the Boston Public Health Commission or your school nurse for further guidance.
Positive Test Results
- Child must remain at home and isolate for 10 days except for medical visits;
- Monitor symptoms;
- Notify the school;
- Notify close contacts;
- Answer the call from the BPHC or Massachusetts Community Tracing Program
Return to School
Must be cleared to return to school via procedure determined by BPHC and Health Services after 10 days have passed since symptoms began
Have had no fever or symptoms for at least 24h without fever reducers or medication
Information for testing sites and other COVID_19 related resources:
Boston Testing Site
Other testing sites identified by Boston Children’s Hospital:
Community Health Needs Resources:
COVID-19 Health Literacy Project:
Don’t forget the bubbles:
Rong Teng, RN
please email and works on Mondays & Thursdays
Ellen Conway, RN
please email and works on Tuesdays and Fridays
Adalis Henriquez, RN
please email and works daily