Mathematics at JQUS
The math courses at Josiah Quincy Upper School follow a scope and sequence created by a committee of JQUS math teachers and staff in accordance with the Massachusetts Curriculum Frameworks. The courses also align with the International Baccalaureate for both the Middle Year Program (MYP) and Diploma Program (DP).
Teaching and learning will include technology in the classroom, group and pair activities, exploratory learning, problem-solving, projects, and reflection upon personal errors to improve mathematical fluency. Connections between algebra and the other four branches of the mathematics framework (numbers, geometry and trigonometry, probability and statistics, and discrete mathematics) are made where appropriate.
MYP Courses offered (Grades 6-10)
Grade 6 - IB MYP - Math Year 1
Grade 7 - IB MYP - Pre-Algebra Year 2
Grade 8 - IB MYP - Algebra I Year 3
Grade 9 - IB MYP - Algebra II/Geometry Year 4
Grade 10 - IB MYP - Algebra II/Geometry Year 5
DP Courses offered (Grades 11-12)
In the 11th and 12th grade, students will take Mathematics: Analysis and Approaches SL.
Mathematics: Analysis and Approaches SL
- 2-year IB course
- Standard Level
- Course Topics:
- Topic 1—Number and Algebra, 19 hours;
- Topic 2—Functions, 21 hours;
- Topic 3— Geometry and Trigonometry, 25 hours;
- Topic 4—Statistics and Probability, 27 hours;
- Topic 5 —Calculus, 28 hours
- Internal Assessment; Mathematical Exploration, 30 hours; Internal assessment in mathematics SL is an individual exploration. This is a piece of written work that involves investigating an area of mathematics.
- Totals 150 hours
- This course recognizes the need for analytical expertise in a world where innovation is increasingly dependent on a deep understanding of mathematics.
- Covers a variety of math topics, with a strong focus on Calculus.
- This course prepares students for future studies in subjects such as engineering, chemistry, economics, psychology, medicine, and business administration.