Advanced Work Class
Advanced Work Class (AWC) is one program available to students in Boston Public Schools that provides an accelerated academic curriculum for students in grades 4, 5 and 6. Students are invited to participate in the AWC program based solely on the students’ scores on the TerraNova, Third Edition, eligibility exam.
The Excellence for All initiative is a pilot launched in the 2016-17 school year in a select group of BPS schools, AWC program schools and non-AWC program schools, to expand access to rigorous curriculum and enrichment experiences for students in grade 4 classrooms. Students in Excellence for All schools have access to the same academic curriculum and enrichment opportunities as students in AWC classrooms.*Please note that program offerings are subject to change for the 2018-2019 school yearApplication ProcessFor current Boston Public Schools students:
For students not currently enrolled in the Boston Public Schools:
- All Boston Public Schools students in grades 3, 4 and 5 are tested for eligibility for AWC in late September or early October at their school.
- All students will receive test results from their current school in early January 2018. Students invited to the AWC program will receive an additional notification.
- In January 2018, AWC invited students will receive a school choice form to apply for the AWC program. Families must complete the application and select the school option that states AWC (for example, "Murphy AWC").
- Students will be notified of their school assignments in the Spring.
- Boston students currently attending private, parochial, or charter schools may register to take the eligibility exam free of charge.
- Special accommodations testing is available for students who are unable to take the exam under standard conditions because of a documented learning difference, physical disability, or language ability. Registration materials are available by clicking the link below.
- The TerraNova, Third Edition, eligibility exam will be offered on October 14, 2017, at the Washington Irving Middle School in Roslindale. The registration deadline is Friday, September 29.
- Students must take the TerraNova, Third Edition, eligibility exam offered by BPS to apply for the AWC program, even if they have already taken a version of the TerraNova at their current school.
- All students will receive test results at the home address in early January 2018. Students invited to the AWC program will receive an additional notification.
- In January 2018, AWC invited students will receive an information packet at their home address to apply for the AWC program.
- Student notification schedule is the same as listed above for current BPS families.
Testing with AccommodationsSpecial accommodation testing is available for students who are unable to take the TerraNova under standard conditions because of a documented learning difference, physical disability or language ability. To apply for a special accommodation due to a physical or learning disability, the parent or guardian must submit a request form and a copy of the student’s Individualized Education Program (IEP) or 504 Plan.
To apply for testing accommodations for English Learners (ELs), the parent or guardian must submit a request form and the student will be required to take an English Proficiency Test in October 2017 to determine eligibility. The EL accommodation will include the use of an approved word-to-word dictionary and extended time.
To ensure the use of the word-to-word bilingual dictionary, please bring your own copy which is subject to inspection by the BPS. Approved bilingual dictionaries are limited to those that provide word-to-word translations and do not include definitions. Parents may purchase a dictionary from the following list of authorized distributors:Please note that all special accommodations testing will take place on October 21, 2017, at the Washington Irving Middle School in Roslindale. Registration forms and special accommodation requests must be submitted by Friday, September 22, 2017. Please send the registration form, home language survey, and special accommodation request to:AWC Testing/Non-BPS StudentsOffice of Data and AccountabilityBoston Public Schools2300 Washington StreetRoxbury, MA 02119