West Zone Early Learning Center
The ELC-West is an exemplary early education school that promotes developmentally appropriate practice and high standards for all students. All classes are taught by early childhood certified educators and staffed with highly trained paraprofessionals for support. The school also offers integrated early childhood classrooms for students with disabilities.
The ELC-West implements developmentally appropriate literacy and math instruction in our classes using programs such as Our World of Learning (OWL) and Building Blocks, Focus on K2, Investigations in Math, Guided Reading, and Reading Street. .
Our program is aligned with the Common Core and state standards. The school is fully accredited by the National Association for the Education of Young Children and has since maintained that accreditation.
- A small-school atmosphere
- Reading Recovery, a research-based program that helps struggling grade 1 readers succeed
- Environmental science teacher and curriculum aligned with STEM (science, technology, engineering, math)
- New technology upgrades: Apple computers, iPads, Apple TV, whole school WiFi enabled, and Chrome books in all classrooms
- Highly qualified paraprofessionals who meet NAEYC qualifications
- Science, music and dance, physical education, and creative dramatic arts
- Frequent visits to community resources and museums, providing opportunities to learn and make connections to curriculum outside of the classroom and engage in hands on learning experiences
- Community field coordinator
- Surround care with swimming, chorus, and tennis and visits to the Connolly Branch Library
- Teachers trained in Reading Recovery and Leveled Literacy Intervention
- All teachers have multiple certifications
Special academic programs:
- Special Education: integrated Early Childhood classrooms
- Inclusion school: students in general education and special education learn together
- Boston Institute of Psychotherapy, Boston Partners in Education, Community Music Center of Boston, Connolly Branch Library, CitySprouts, City Year, Sportsmen’s Tennis & Enrichment Center, and Boston Wellness
Before and after school programs in our building:
- Before school: Children begin the day at 7:30 with breakfast followed by center activities and small group time until the start of the formal school day, which is 8:30-2:30.
- After school: Free surround care until 4:35 pm with enrichment activities, which may include swimming, yoga, tennis, science, and trips to the local library and community resources.
200 Heath Street
Jamaica Plain, MA 02130
2017-2018 School Year Hours:
7:30 a.m. - 4:35 p.m.
Early Dismissal, the day before Thanksgiving and last two days of school: 2:35 p.m.
Level: Early Childhood
School Type: Regular