UP Academy Charter School of Boston
UP Academy Charter School of Boston (UP Academy Boston) is a high-performing tuition-free, college preparatory middle school serving students in grades 6-8. UP Academy Boston aims to ensure its students acquire the knowledge, skills, and strength of character necessary to succeed on the path to college and to achieve their full potential. We believe that any student can rapidly approach grade-level proficiency when they are exposed to a structured and rigorous, yet joyful, academic environment.
Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) named UP Academy Boston to its 2014 List of Schools Commended for High Progress and Narrowing Proficiency Gaps!
What Makes Our School Special?
- Public, tuition-free, college preparatory middle school managed by a school management organization, UP Education Network
- Aims to ensure all students are on an unbreakable path to high school and college and to achieve their full potential
- Rigorous, standards-based curriculum and instruction that emphasizes an increase in intellectual independence in math and reading
- Culture of high academic and behavioral expectations for students, families, and staff
- Open lines of communication between school and family, including report card nights, reports on student progress and performance that are sent home each week, etc
- Core values include achievement, scholarship, integrity, respect, and enthusiasm (ASPIRE)
- Learning environment based on balancing rigor with enthusiasm and joy
- Two hours of math and English everyday
- 50 minute of study hall in the afternoon where students can receive homework help or small group tutoring
- Additional homework help in our after school programs
- Sixth grade students can take classes in sports, fine arts and music through the Finale program
- Seventh and eighth grade students can take non-core classes that include sports, yoga and film study through the Friday Enrichment Program
- ISEE and SSAT prep for 8th grade students
- High school choice course offered to 8th grade students; Full-time high school choice manager
- Comprehensive supports for all students, including students with disabilities and English language learners
- Special Education and ESL classes
- Facilities include an auditorium, music and art rooms, science and computer labs, and gymnasium
- Coaching for Change/Community Rowing
- South Boston Boys and Girls Club
- 3 Point Foundation
Before And After School Programs In Our Building
- After school: Programming offered Monday-Thursday until 3:00pm; Friday until 1:00 pm
Director of Operations
215 Dorchester Street
South Boston, MA 02127
2017-2018 School Year Hours
7:15am to 3:00pm. Bus riders will be picked up at 3:45 pm.
Friday: 7:15am to 1:00pm.
School Type: In-District Charter School