Mario Umana Academy
The Mario Umana Academy is a dual-language school (English/Spanish).
Our expectation is that all students—regardless of learning or language barriers—will succeed academically and socially. The Umana has one hour of expanded learning time each day that allows for teacher and grade cluster planning as well as additional academic support for students. In addition, seven early release days have been added to the calendar for whole-school professional development.
Umana Academy offers a wide array of learning experiences for our students with our community partners, which include Tenacity, Zumix, East Boston Neighborhood Health Center, Waypoint Adventure, Gear Up, and Debate Mate. We are able to partner with so many organizations because of our flexible schedule and our commitment to providing a wide range of opportunities for learning to our students.
What makes our school special:
- Our instructional focus: Read To Know, Write To Show, Speak To Grow
- Our mission: Provide students with a rigorous student-centered curriculum that is integrated across subject areas in a safe, respectful, learning environment where all community members work together to enable our students to become life-long learners and productive members of society.
- Expanded Learning Time school, with an additional one hour of instruction each day
- A thirty-minute block of time when students, teachers, and staff are dedicated to our literacy support and acceleration initiative.
- Celebrations of students’ academic, social and behavioral successes at the end of every marking term.
- Developing pathways with East Boston High School
- The expectation that all our partners will deliver programs that align with our academic focus and achievement expectations in a seamless school day
- Exciting instrumental and ensemble music instruction in partnership with ZUMIX
Special academic programs:
- Advanced Work Classes for eligible students in grade 6
- Special Education: a program for students with intellectual impairment, K2-grade 8
- Dual Language (Spanish/English) in grades K1-5 (expanding an additional grade each year until 2022)
Before and after school programs in our building:
- Before school: Many students come to school starting at 6:30 am to use the gym or the computer lab.
- After school: For Kids Only academic, recreational and social opportunities. This program runs during the summer, vacation weeks and most holidays.
PrincipalChristina MichelAssistant PrincipalCatherine Carney312 Border Street
East Boston, MA 02128Phone: 617-635-8481
Fax: 617-635-9595School Hours
7:20 am - 2:00 pm
Early Dismissal, the day before Thanksgiving and last two days of school: NoonGrades: K1-8Level: K-8School Type: Traditional