Joseph P. Tynan Elementary School
The Tynan School community has a culturally and academically diverse student population, welcoming general education students, autistic students, and English language learners in our school. We have school based counseling and Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) therapy for students. In addition to offering science, physical education, dance and vocal music, we also have City Stage, which is a theater arts program to provide students with additional enrichment activities. We currently use a literature based program and Reading Street for literacy; Writer’s Express for writing; and TERC Investigations for math.
This year we have a director of operations, a special education student support coordinator, a parent services coordinator, an operations coordinator, and a student coordinator who assist the school and families in a variety of ways.
- Mass. Water Resources Authority (MWRA) science programs
- Family Nights focusing on math, literacy, and PARCC (the new statewide test)
- A new school library, courtesy of Target
- Mass. History Initiative
- Eight mobile computer carts with Internet in classrooms
- Dance and vocal music
- Boston Partners in Education / Power Lunch, mentoring students in kindergarten through grade 3
- Two full time science specialists
- Culturally diverse school population
- Volunteers and tutors from NSTAR, Boston Partners in Education, Foster Grandparents, and Generations, Inc.
- Facilities: library, playground, dance studio and gymnasium
- * K-12Save Pathway: Guaranteed assignment to grade 6 at the Dearborn STEM Academy (science/technology/engineering/math) school for grades 6-12.
Special academic programs:
- Special education: autism program
- Program for English language learners
- Arbour Counseling, Boston Institute of Psychotherapy, City Stage, Lifetouch, Mount Washington Bank, Tynan Community School, Boston Partners in Education, Westin Hotel, Greater Boston Food Bank, Target, Reebok, and Cradle to Crayons
Before and after school programs in our building:
- Before school: Please contact the school for information
- Tynan Community Center after school program;
- bus to South Boston Neighborhood House and South Boston Boys & Girls Club
650 E. Fourth Street
South Boston, MA 02127
2017-2018 School Year Hours
8:30 a.m.-3:10 p.m.
Early Dismissal, the day before Thanksgiving and last two days of school: 1:10 p.m.Grades: K1-5
School Type: Regular