Maurice J. Tobin K-8 School
The Tobin is an extended service K-8 school that engages school staff, families and community partnerships to help students’ social-emotional well-being and academic success.The model of our school places students at the center of our work by creating networks of shared responsibility among all our stakeholders. As a team, everyone helps to provide guidance, expertise, political support, and internal and external resources that support the goals of our Quality School Plan. Our goal is to continue to strengthen the home-school connection. The Tobin K-8 School has partnered with the Achievement Network (ANet) to help us establish the structures and practices necessary for a successful transition to the Massachusetts Common Core curriculum.
- Two outstanding programs (general education and Sheltered English Immersion) to meet each student’s individual learning needs and improve academic performance
- A state-of-the art computer lab donated by former Celtics star Ray Allen; and four Chromebook carts for grades 3-8 to expand students’ technological capabilities
- Focus on the arts in collaboration with Mass. College of Art & Design, Gardner Museum, and Art Resource Collaborative for Kids (ARCK)
- Music and dance opportunities offered through Sociedad Music Club and Boston Ballet
- Summer jobs for graduating 8th graders with Brigham & Women’s Hospital
- A food market run by the Boston Rescue Mission that provides free food to families of our Tobin Scholars every second and fourth Wednesday of the month
- Active School Parent Council and School Site Council
- Tutors for All: 1-to-1 tutoring program for 7th and 8th grade students
- Leadership program for 8th graders: students must complete an internship at the school working with a staff member
- Boston Educator of the Year award winners on staff
- Facilities: auditorium, playground, computer lab, and art room
Special academic programs:• Sheltered English Immersion (SEI) for English language learners• Required community service project for all classes
Before and after school programs:• Before School 7:30-9:30 am and After School 4:00-6:00 pm Monday - Friday• School Vacation Weeks and Summer 7:30 am-6:00 pm• Vouchers and Private Pay Accepted (Sliding Scale Fee for Eligible Families)• Contact us: enrollment@
bostonsbridgetoexcellence.com• Program Adminstrator: Sophia Bishop-Rice (857) 246-2984
40 Smith Street
Roxbury, MA 02120
9:30 a.m.-4:10 p.m.
Early Dismissal, the day before Thanksgiving and last two days of school: 2:10 p.m.
School Type: Regular