The Timilty offers an innovative approach to learning with a longer school day through Extended Learning Time. Our faculty and staff collaborate in daily common planning time, allowing them to meet the academic needs of all students. We organize our students in small teams of 80-100 students to provide a more individualized learning experience.
Literacy and math are integrated into all subjects. In addition to the academic subjects, students participate in electives including: physical education, health, dance, music, art, and Japanese. Our college awareness program prepares students in the “academic middle” to tackle the most rigorous courses. Positive behavior norms are integrated into the school’s culture and emphasized through experiential learning. All Timilty students “Dress for Success” to demonstrate their commitment to professionalism and career readiness.
What makes our school special:
• One hour of extended learning time
• Science program with Massachusetts General Hospital
• Long-standing partnerships with local schools, businesses, and organizations
• Multiple after-school opportunities, including Math STARS, STE(A)M TEAM, SCORES, string musical instrument lessons, and sports
• Saturday Scholars for academic enrichment
• Preparation for the ISEE (admission test for exam schools)
• Tech Goes Home: students and parents take computer classes together and receive a
no-interest loan to buy a computer upon completion of the course
• Two-time winner of the National Award for Excellence from the U.S. Dept. of Education; and winner of many other awards, including the National Title I Distinguished School Award and designation as a Compass School, part of the state’s Distinguished Schools program
• Promising Pals: students exchange letters with distinguished adults in Boston
• Facilities: auditorium, computer lab, music and art rooms, gymnasium
* K-8 Pathway: Guaranteed assignment for students from the Blackstone, Hale, and Mendell.
• Boston Partners in Education, Health Management Resources (HMR), Mass General Hospital. Peoples’ Baptist & North River Community Church, Roxbury Community College, Simmons College, SquashBusters, Tech Goes Home, Wheelock College, MathPOWER, Sociedad Latina, America SCORES soccer, Boston Citywide String Orchestra