Charles Sumner Elementary School
The Sumner Elementary School is committed to developing and nurturing each child’s talents and abilities in a safe and academically challenging environment. Our solid academic program focuses on building a strong school climate with efforts to celebrate all levels of academic and behavioral accomplishments.
We are a full-service school emphasizing the arts and school-based services. We offer services and programs such as tutoring, band, and strategic interventions through Response to Intervention, etc.
The Sumner faculty goes above and beyond to ensure each and every child receives the academic and support services he or she needs to succeed.
- Strong focus on differentiating instruction
- Science, physical education, computers, arts
- Partner for Student Success school, extending teaching and learning beyond the school day
- Response to Intervention through the Academic Achievement Framework
- Tutoring for students who need extra help
- Many opportunities for family involvement
- Diverse community
- Healthy School program with a focus on teaching children healthy choices
- Located in the heart of Roslindale, just off Roslindale Square
Special academic programs:
- Special Education classes, grades 1-6
- Inclusion classes in K2-grade 6
- Sheltered English Instruction (SEI) for multilingual learners
- Excellence for All (EFA) instruction, grades 3-6
Before and after school programs in our building:
- Before school: grades K1-6: literacy and math activities, enrichment and recreation programs; sliding scale fee and financial aid available
- After school, grades K1-6: homework help, enrichment activities and recreation centered around literacy, math and technology, and developing leadership skills; sliding scale fee and financial aid available
PrincipalMeghan WelchAssistant Principal
Christine RinaldiLower Campus
15 Basile Street
Roslindale, MA 02131
Fax: 617-635-8136Upper Campus
105 Cummins Highway
Roslindale, MA 02131
Phone: 617-635-8073School Hours
9:30 a.m.-4:10 p.m.Early Dismissal, the day before Thanksgiving and last two days of school: 1:40 p.m.
School Type: Traditional