Quincy Elementary School
Josiah Quincy School (JQS) is a community school that serves as a model for other Boston Public Schools. JQS attracts national attention for our classroom practices, administrative team, and cultural and art events. Our focus is to provide each student with individualized supports and resources to become global citizens.
JQS provides a challenging academic program that gives our students the means to meet high standards and excel to the best of their ability. We foster sound habits and healthy mind and body, and instill in them such virtues as integrity, respect, and self-discipline. We provide a nurturing environment and effective teaching methods that promotes independent learning.Special Features:
- Chosen as one of the 100 best public elementary schools in Massachusetts
- Small class size in grades 1 and 2
- Robotic science program for grades 4 and 5
- Clubs, dance troups, visual arts, and swimming
- Orchestra for K2 to grade 6 students
- Cultural events such as Winter Festival and Chinese New Year
- Workshops for parents in Chinese and English
- Weekly coffee/tea hour for parents at School Parent Council meetings
- Modern complex with rooftop play decks and outdoor learning space
- Guaranteed assignment to grade 6 at Josiah Quincy Upper School.
- Advanced Work Class for eligible students in grades 4 and 5
- Mandarin language instruction for all students
- Big Brother/Big Sister, Boston Chinatown Neighborhood Center, Boston Partners in Education, Boston College City Connects, Longy Music Institute, Community Music Center, Museum of Fine Arts, Northeastern University, Tufts University , Boston University, Wellesley College, South Cove Health Center; Tufts Medical Center, Dental School, Engineering School, and Nutrition Department; “e” Inc.
- Before school:
- Free activities sponsored by the physical education teacher three mornings a week; Neighborhood Walking Club, Strong Women, Strong Girls group, gymnastics, basketball, BOKS fitness
- Free academic support before and after school for students recommended by their teachers, 4 hours a week
- QS Before School Orchestra/Chorus program, K2-grade 5
- After school programs:
- Offered by the Red Oak After School Program BCNC, Wang YMCA, Castle Square Tenants Organization Youth Education Program, United South End Settlement, Chung Wah Academy, Kwong Kow Chinese School, IDILL, and Ellis Memorial
- Chinese dance and band in partnership with local agencies
Cynthia Soo HooAssistant Principal/Headmaster
Ping-Kam ChanMichael McCarthy
Boston, MA 02111
9:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Early Dismissal, day before Thanksgiving and last two days of school: 1:30 p.m.Grades: K0-5