Otis Elementary School
We have a diverse and dedicated group of highly qualified teachers that reflect the diversity of our student population. Most of the Otis staff speaks two or more languages. Most have their ESL license in addition to their primary license.
The Otis is one of few select schools that employ a full-time Community Field Coordinator. This position plays a vital role in communicating with families on school policies and student progress.
We always end our year on a high note, with our fifth graders' annual full-scale production at the East Boston High School Auditorium. Our students enjoy a full complement of art, music, theater, science and computers.
We have a partnership with UMass Boston, Lesley University,Boston College PULSE as well as with BC SOARS to provide mentors to our students this year.
- First Family Friendly accredited school in BPS in 2014
- Full-time community field coordinator
- Diverse, multilingual staff
- Specialist teachers for art, music, dance, science, and computers
- Music, art, science, computers, physical education, keyboard lab
- Extended Learning Time School, 8:30-3:10
- Interactive Polyvision whiteboards in most classrooms.
- Afterschool ESL classes for parents
- Active Parent Council, with representatives on our School Site Council
- Guaranteed assignment to Edwards Middle School or Umana Academy.
Special academic programs
- Special Education: Integrated Early Childhood program, K0/K1
- English Language learners: Sheltered English Instruction (SEI); multilingual program
- Arbour Counseling Services, Boston Ballet, Boston College, East Boston YMCA, East Boston Community Health Center, Harborside Community Center, Kiwanis Club of East Boston, Read Boston, UMass Boston, Microsoft
Before and after school programs in our building
- Before school, 7:30-8:15 am: BOKS fitness program; tutoring
- After school: program for children of parents enrolled in on-site ESL school program, Monday-Thursdays, 2:30-4:45 pm; tutoring by Otis teachers for select students; YMCA program, 2:30-6:00 pm
Contact the Otis
218 Marion Street
East Boston, MA 02128
2017-2018 School Year Hours
8:20 am - 3:00 pm
Early Dismissal, the day before Thanksgiving and last two days of school: 1:00 p.m.
School Type: Regular