McKinley Elementary School
Boston's McKinley Schools are four schools in one, providing special education for students in kindergarten through grade 12. The McKinley Elementary School is a clean, safe, supportive, and therapeutic environment in which students learn and grow to meet high standards. Students and staff respect and appreciate one another along with the diversity of all people.
Dedicated, creative, and energetic teachers, possess high level skills in their content areas, as well as instructional and behavior modification approaches, that also cultivates a school culture where learning is paramount. Instructional staff examines student work and data to refine and improve instructional practice. Resources, both financial and time, are invested in professional development to improve teaching practices, based on formative and summative assessment data. As a result, enthusiastic students are excited about learning and proud of themselves and their achievements.
Parents and the community are involved in the daily life of the school. Shared decision-making via the School-Site Council and Parent Council, community-based partnerships, and shared resources are mutually beneficial to all involved, adding to the rich fabric of experiential learning.
Students and families have appropriate and effective support services provided through collaborative planning with other social services agencies. Highly skilled school-based support teams, including guidance staff, contracted therapists, clinical consultants, and itinerant service providers, provide a wide array of coordinated emotional and behavioral supports to ensure students’ and families’ abilities to maximize academic potential and emotional gains.
People entering the McKinley Elementary School would say, “We’re proud of what McKinley is doing for the children of Boston.”
- Four schools in one, providing special education for students in kindergarten through grade 12
- Focus on emotional, behavioral, and learning needs
- Highly structured behavior management system
- Intensive clinical supports
- Full range of academic programs
- All students assigned via Individualized Education Program (IEP) Team Meeting
- Four Boston Educators of the Year on staff: David Russell, Meredith Berke, Cara Bufalino, and James Scaringe
- South End Technology Center, Blue Cross Blue Shield, Haley House, and Wediko Children’s Services
90 Warren Avenue
Boston, MA 02116Phone: 617-635-9978Fax: 617-635-9985School Hours
9:30 am - 3:30 pmEarly Dismissal, the day before Thanksgiving and last two days of school: 1:30 p.m.Grades: K-5
School Type: Special