Joseph P. Manning Elementary
The Manning is located in a quiet, residential neighborhood in Jamaica Plain. We have an instructional focus on higher order thinking skills and an inclusion program that supports success for all of our children. Our small size allows us to develop meaningful relationships with students so that we can individualize our instructional strategies and students’ social development.
We are supported by an active Parent Council and powerful partnerships with the Responsive Classroom, Playworks and the Faulkner Hospital, among others. Students are offered extra science, library, art, physical education, and music each week.
- Instructional focus on higher order thinking skills
- Inclusion program to support all students
- Positive school culture nurtured by Responsive Classroom
- Full-time science technology teacher and librarian, art teachers, and physical education through Playworks
- School psychologist
- Occupational and speech therapy
- Music with Community Music Center of Boston
- Computers in every classroom
- Active parent participation as volunteers, fund raisers, and members of the School Parent and School Site Councils
- Individual parent conferences
- Guaranteed assignment to grade 6 at the Boston Teachers Union (BTU) K-8 School.
Special academic programs
- Special Education: Early Childhood integrated K0-K1 classroom; K2-grade 5 are inclusion classes with extra support.
- Arnold Arboretum, Community Music Center of Boston, Courageous Sailing, Brigham & WomenFaulkner Hospital, Playworks, Reading is Fundamental, Showa Boston, Spontaneous Celebrations, Wediko, Wheelock College
Before and after school programs in our building
- Before school, 8:00-9:25 am: For the convenience of our parents, we offer a wonderful fee-based program with arts & crafts, chess and Lego club and outdoor activities.
- After school, 3:25-5:45 pm: Our dynamic, exciting fee-based after school program offers a variety of activities for students such as dance, physical education, music, sailing, Spontaneous Celebration, fencing, and French. We also offer academic support and enrichment. Extra fee programs include: Spanish, karate, hip hop, woodworking and ballet.
Ethan D'Ablemont Burnes
130 Louder’s Lane
Jamaica Plain, MA 02130Phone: 617-635-8102Fax: 617-635-9348School Hours9:30 am - 4:10 pm
Early Dismissal, the day before Thanksgiving and last two days of school: 2:10 p.m.
School Type: Regular