Lyon K–8 School
Perseverance, hard work and vision make the Mary Lyon K-8 School different! The Lyon is a full inclusion school with small classes and high teacher/student ratio. All of our teachers hold Masters’ degrees and are dually certified in general and special education. We offer specialists in music, art, physical education and technology. Our school works to welcome all learners into an inclusive setting and help them to attain success.We believe that a large part of our success depends on our ability to teach students content and performance standards as well as the “hidden curriculum,” such as how to organize and link information and ideas together. We believe it is our job to provide students with explicit instruction in areas such as appropriate school behavior, how to interact appropriately with peers in work groups, and how to make good choices during independent time. We believe that these lessons will provide students with the skills and strategies necessary to help them be successful in both structured and unstructured environments.
What makes our school special
- Full inclusion model
- Small class size
- Free before and after school programs
- Highly qualified staff: All teachers hold Masters’ degrees and all are dually certified in regular and special education
- Specialists in music, art, technology, and physical education
- Engaged School Site Council and Parent Council
- Parent-led Home Reading Program for all students
- Renovated playground, music and art rooms, and computer lab
- *K-12 Pathway: Lyon K-8 students are guaranteed assignment to Lyon High School.
Special academic programs
- Fully inclusive school: all classrooms have special education and general education students
- Boston College, Boston University, Read Boston, Walker Home and School, Wheelock College, Strong Women, Strong Girls
Before and after school programs in our building
- Before school, 7:30-9:15 am: available for students in kindergarten-grade 6
- After school, 3:30-4:30 pm for eligible students: music, band, chorus, enrichment opportunities and recreational activities
Contact the Lyon
Interim PrincipalDan Mulvey
50 Beechcroft St.
Brighton, MA 02135
Grades 7-8 and Lyon High School:
95 Beechcroft Street
Brighton, MA 02135
United StatesPhone617-635-8351Fax617-635-8353School Hours9:30 am - 4:10 pmEarly Dismissal, the day before Thanksgiving and last two days of school: 2:10 p.m.
School Type: Regular