King K-8 School
The Martin Luther King, Jr. K-8 School exemplifies the true meaning of Dr. King’s dream. Students are not judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character. We celebrate and teach a different character trait each month to help build students’ self-esteem. To achieve academic success, we must first teach responsibility and productivity. Students are taught to serve the school and the community for the common good.
What makes our school special
- Focus on character-building, teaching students responsibility and productivity, and service to the school and the community for the common good
- An additional 40 minutes of math and reading enrichment each week for grades 6-8
- Renovated building with auditorium, library, science and computer labs, music and art rooms, gymnasium, playground and cafeteria
- Home-school-community partnership valued
- Computer, art, music, chorus, and physical education
- Performing arts
- Strong Women, Strong Girls
- “Wonderful Wednesdays” when parents can visit classrooms and observe daily instruction
- Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts
Special academic programs
- Advanced Work Classes for eligible students in grade 6
- Special Education , kindergarten-grade 8
- Boston Celtics Stay in School program, Ten Boys Initiative, Latino STEM Initiative, YMCA, Links Organization, Mass. Housing, National Society of Black Engineers, Playworks, Thompson Island, Generations Inc., Home for Little Wanderers, ReadBoston/Boston Celtics Read to Achieve, Big Cheese Reads, UMass Boston, Project Right, Boston Public Health Commission, Debate Mate, Dudley Street Neighborhood Initiative, Digital Literacy Project, Draper Technology, SLUG Garden, Adobe Youth Voices, and Boston Athletic Association.
After school programs in our building
- After school program, 2:30-6:00 p.m. run on-site by the YMCA
77 Lawrence Ave.
Dorchester, MA 02121
2017-2018 School Year Hours
8:30 am - 3:10 pm
Early Dismissal, the day before Thanksgiving and last two days of school: 1:10 p.m.
School Type: Traditional