Kenny Elementary School
The Kenny School understands the needs of the multicultural learning community. We have dedicated ESL (English as a Second Language) teachers. A small learning environment enables us to build strong relationships.We use new, project-based reading units, Readers’ and Writers’ Workshop, and the Sheltered Instruction Observation Protocol (SIOP) model (for English language learners) to teach English language arts. Our students show strong growth in reading and math as measured on MCAS.
The Kenny offers many opportunities for children to be successful, especially in the areas of music/instrument lessons, technology, the arts, dance, and community services. We are currently the only elementary school that has a marching band, and we are invited to march in five parades a year. We also have a schoolwide dance performance at the Strand Theater in June.
We have earned accreditation from National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC) for our early childhood programs.
- Early Childhood playgroups and Kindergarten 1 program
- Music, art, science, chorus, and gym
- Kenny School Marching Band for grades 3-5, the only marching band in the BPS
- Winner of a VH1 Instrument Grant
- BalletRox Dance classes and scholarships
- Farm for City Kids: grade 5 students spend a week on a farm, working and learning about farm living
- Generations tutoring
- First Night, St. Patrick’s Day, Dorchester Day, Haitian Day Parades, Memorial Day Exercises, other special performances.
- Guaranteed assignment to grade 6 at the Mildred Avenue School
- SEI Haitian and Vietnamese programs for English language learners
- Special Education: Learning Disabled (LD), and Early Childhood programs
- City Connects, BELL Foundation, Berklee College of Music, UMass Boston, Farm for City Kids, Generations, Home for Little Wanderers Counseling, Pierce House, Children’s Museum Conservatory Lab Charter School, The Achievement Network, BOKS, America SCORES, Boston Bikes, DebateMate, Robotics with Latina STEM (science/technology/engineering/math)
Before and after school programs in our building
- Before school program, 8:00-9:15 am, run by Kenny School staff; $50 per month
- After school, Mon.-Thurs.: 3-hour tutorial in reading, writing and math for grades 1-5 from BELL Foundation. Free; program runs from mid-October through March.
19 Oakton Avenue
Dorchester, MA 02122
United StatesPhone617-635-8789Fax617-635-87912017-2018 School Year Hours9:30 am - 4:10 pmEarly dismissal, the day before Thanksgiving and last two days of school: 2:10 p.m.
School Type: Traditional