Washington Irving Middle School
At the Washington Irving Middle School, we believe all students are capable of learning, thinking, and developing their social-emotional skills beyond their expectations. Irving students adopt a growth mindset and demonstrate our school core values: respect, responsibility, and integrity. Irving staff cultivate a safe, loving, and engaging learning environment that encourages all students to take risks as they seek knowledge. As a result, Irving students become passionate lifelong learners who apply their thinking skills beyond our classrooms to solve and address injustices in their communities.
Irving is organized by grade/program clusters which builds meaningful relationships and supports our students’ needs. Within each grade/program cluster, students are assigned to cohorts.
Academic Courses: Math, ELA, Science, Humanities, Literacy
Elective Courses: Visual Arts, Technology, Physical Education, Multimedia, and Japanese (AWC)
2017-2018 Schedule: All students take four core academic courses, two elective courses, and one literacy course; plus 1 Advisory Block (once per week). Each block is 60 minutes with the expectation of the Literacy Block which is 40 minutes.
Special Academic Programming
- Program for students with Language-based Learning Disabilities
- Changing Students Lives: Program for students with Emotional Impairments
- 6th-grade AWC
- Sheltered English Immersion Program for ELD: Levels 1 and 2
- Literacy Intervention Block for all students
- Weekly Advisory period with a focus on Social Emotional Learning and Social Justice Themes
After School Programming: Free program sponsored by Boys and Girls Club and City Year
- City Year
- Boys and Girls Club of Boston
- ENGAGE Boston
- Boston Youth Wrestling
- America SCORES Soccer
- PlayBall! Football
- Boston Debate League
- Boston Society of Civil Engineers
- BPS Middle School Basketball League
- Boston Celtics Stay in School Program
- The Home for Little Wanderers School-Based Counseling
Jomila C. Smith
105 Cummins Highway
Roslindale, MA 02131
2017-2018 School Year Hours
7:15 AM - 2:05 PM
Early Dismissal, the day before Thanksgiving and last two days of school: 12:05 p.m.
School Type: Traditional